Salty & Sweet. Cheesy & Buttery! This mix of popcorns is a fantastic mix of flavors commonly referred to as Chicago Popcorn! You’ve seen it in popcorn stores and in pre-made bags, but now you can make it at home!
I made this post just to highlight the mixture of two previous recipes but struggled with how to give it an identity of its own while not introducing any new methods or ingredients. The Cheddar Popcorn and the Caramel Popcorn are both equally delicious separately but together they make such a fantastic flavor that what used to be a hometown treat in Chicago, IL has taken over the popcorn aisle! Chicago Mix popcorn is sold by company’s like Garrett’s, Popcornopolis and my personal favorite G.H. Cretors.
You will find the each recipe’s detailed instructions on the pages linked in this post, but if you are making this mix to enjoy, I would add the two together in a paper bag (preferably the one you made the cheddar popcorn in) and mix them together thoroughly. One of the best parts about Chicago Mix popcorn is the slight layer of cheese dust that is on each piece of caramel popcorn!
For detailed instructions of the Cheddar Cheese Popcorn, click here.
For detailed instructions of the Caramel Popcorn, click here.
- 7 quarts plain popped popcorn (about 30 cups of popped popcorn or 2½ bags of microwave popcorn)
- 2 cups brown sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup (I use homemade)
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- ½ cup cheddar cheese powder
- ¼ teaspoon mustard powder
- 6 cups popped popcorn or ⅓ cups popcorn kernels
- ½ teaspoon salt
- For the Caramel Popcorn:
- Place the popped popcorn into two large baking pans.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and salt in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring enough to blend.
- Once the mixture begins to boil, boil for 3-4 minutes while stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat, and stir in the baking soda and vanilla.
- The mixture bubble rapidly.
- Immediately pour over the popcorn in the pans, and stir to coat.
- It is okay if the popcorn isn't completely coated yet the oven will help us out.
- Bake for 45 minutes but stir the popcorn every fifteen minutes.
- When it comes out of the oven, try to separate the pieces as much as you can before it cools completely. Enjoy!
- For the Cheddar Popcorn:
- Put a ⅓ of a cup of kernels in a medium brown paper bag.
- Roll the top of it closed.
- Microwave until the kernels stop popping at the rate of at least 1 per second.
- In a large brown paper bag, combine the popcorn and butter by shaking the bag while pouring the butter in a slow stream.
- Once all the butter is in, roll the bag closed and shake it REALLY well.
- Combine the cheddar cheese powder, mustard powder and salt in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle over the popcorn while shaking the bag.
- Roll it back up and shake vigorously.
- Enjoy immediately!
This post contains Amazon affiliate links which will help pay for some of the upkeep on this blog, but definitely not enough for that pony I’ve wanted since I was 6. Thanks for being supportive of the blog and please know I would never promote a product I didn’t know and LOVE.