Cream of Mushroom Soup sounds like a basic ingredient in a casserole but making it from scratch is really easy and it freezes great. Perfect for all your condensed soup recipes!
Cream of Mushroom Soup is the first post in a new series I’m referring to as the Kitchen Pantry series here on the blog. I’ve found people have been reaching out to me asking me for substitutions for a ton of prepared items I don’t normally use on the blog. From ALL the condensed soups to cool whip and even people wanting to know how to make butter, you all are amazing!
This recipe is so easy to make it will shock you how quick it is and how much more you want to make those recipes again now that you have a natural swap you can make! Plus, it FREEZES!
And yes, I TOTALLY have a pork chops with cream of mushroom soup recipe coming. AND a slow cooker pork chops with cream of mushroom soup too. My family LOVES that recipe.
I’ll also be posting a lot of recipes that use cream of mushroom soup this fall. And if you have a recipe that calls for a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup, use this recipe directly.
Looking for more mushroom recipes?
If you’d like to enjoy this Cream of Mushroom Soup as a bowl of soup?
- Swap out the evaporated milk for cream, add in a bit more garlic, some fresh thyme and leave the mushroom whole.
- If you’d like, give it a splash of marsala wine too.
Tools Used in the making of this Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup:
Food Processor: This is the newer version of the one I have used and loved for ten years. It is a workhorse and the new model has similarly awesome reviews…and it is so affordable!
AllSpice Spice Rack: I use this spice rack and fill up the bottles with freshly purchased spices. It’s basically one of the most beautiful things in my kitchen and when you’re working with a large quantity of spices, not having to hunt and peck through your cupboards makes everything go at warp speed.
Evaporated Milk: I love using this because it helps with the freezing of the soup. If you’re using it fresh feel free to use heavy cream or half and half.
Cream of Mushroom Soup (Condensed)
- Yield: 1 Servings
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Course: Ingredient, Soup
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- In a food processor add the garlic and pulse.
- Add the onion and pulse a couple of times.
- Add in the mushrooms and pulse 2-3 more times.
- Add the butter to a saucepan and melt.
- Add in the vegetable mixture, salt and pepper.
Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally for 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the flour and stir ingredients together well for about a minute to let the flour cook a bit.
- Add in the evaporated milk and chicken broth and cook until thickened.
- Use this recipe to replace a single can of condensed cream of mushroom soup.
Yield: 1 Servings, Amount per serving: 777 calories, Calories: 777g, Carbohydrates: 51g, Protein: 21g, Fat: 57g, Saturated Fat: 35g, Cholesterol: 159mg, Sodium: 2148mg, Potassium: 1283mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 20g, Vitamin A: 34.5g, Vitamin C: 24.8g, Calcium: 36g, Iron: 17g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.