Growing up eating Middle Eastern food on a daily basis can get a bit tiring. Most recipes are rice based with a grilled meat. Lots of oregano, cumin, coriander and special spices like Za’atar and Sumac. This salad is one I grew up eating on an almost weekly basis and I never grew tired of it! That should be a ringing endorsement to you! A delicious Greek Vegetable salad in a rainbow of colors. Fresh and healthy it is topped with salty rich feta and kalamata olives. Less than 200 calories a serving, eat the delicious salad rainbow!
There is no cooking involved, but there is quite a lot of chopping. That is why when you see this salad at Whole Foods or Dean and Deluca you end up paying a LOT for it. The payoff is that it is fresh and crisp and can be made AND dressed ahead of time since it doesn’t have any lettuce that can get soggy. This also makes it a great dish for entertaining since it gets better and better as it sits out during your event.
You can also mix up your vegetables depending on what you prefer. I’ve made it before with all different colored bell peppers, zucchini or even celery. The dressing is really great as it sits and soaks into the ingredients. As a kid I would eat this salad in pita bread that I tore in half to make it into pockets. Sometimes I would even spread some hummus inside the pocket first before loading it up with salad. You can also feel great about eating as much of it as you would like since it is so healthy!
Chop all the vegetables into 1/2 inch cubes. Chop the olives. Crumble the feta cheese.
Mix the olive oil, red wine vinegar, honey, salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Don’t worry about it separating, we are going to pour it over the salad immediately.
Layer in the following order: red onions, cucumbers, yellow bell pepper, red bell pepper, tomatoes, feta cheese and olives.
Pour the dressing over the salad. Let sit for about half an hour if you can.
- 4 medium on the vine tomatoes
- 1 large cucumber, peeled
- ½ a red onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 4 ounces feta cheese (my favorite is Bulgarian Feta, but any kind will do)
- 3 ounces kalamata olives
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste (I use ¼ teaspoon of each)
- Chop all the vegetables into ½ inch cubes.
- Chop the olives.
- Crumble the feta cheese.
- Mix the olive oil, red wine vinegar, honey, salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Don't worry about it separating, we are going to pour it over the salad immediately.
- Layer in the following order: red onions, cucumbers, yellow bell pepper, red bell pepper, tomatoes, feta cheese and olives.
- Pour the dressing over the salad. Let sit for about half an hour if you can.
Sign up for daily recipes and receive a free e-cookbook!
You'll get my 5-10-30 e-cookbook -
- 5 cuisines
- 10 full meals
- 30 total ingredients
complete with two-week shopping guide!