Vegetable Soup is hearty and savory, full of nourishing veggies like tomatoes, corn, green beans, celery, and potatoes, ready in under 45 minutes!
Vegetable Soup is the PERFECT dish for a cold day, made with hearty potatoes and corn, green beans, celery, carrots, and onions in a seasoned chicken broth.
I can honestly say that this is one of my favorite soup recipes of all time. I like to serve this with toasted garlic bread, a side salad, and some cheddar or parmesan cheese on top.
This vegetable soup recipe is really versatile. You can use whatever veggies that are in season, or this is a great recipe to use up leftover veggies from the night before. I’ve also made this using Italian seasoning or oregano, parsley, and thyme with various different types of broth before with a lot of success.
I usually make this on the stovetop because it’s pretty quick to throw together, but it does really well in both the slow cooker and the instant pot. Once you try this soup recipe, you will never look at the store-bought stuff the same way again.
HOW TO MAKE VEGETABLE SOUP IN THE SLOW COOKER
Vegetable soup is REALLY easy to make in the slow cooker. Just put everything in, stir to mix together, and cook on low for eight hours or on high for four hours. You can refer to my Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup for a similar version (but with beef – which you can definitely leave out if you want).
HOW LONG IS VEGETABLE SOUP GOOD FOR?
Vegetable soup will last wrapped tightly in the refrigerator for about 4 days. Reheat your soup over medium-low heat on the stove, stirring occasionally until warm.
CAN YOU FREEZE VEGETABLE SOUP?
Vegetable soup is perfect for making ahead and freezing. Let the soup cool down completely, then seal it in an airtight container and freeze for up to 5-6 months. I usually make a double batch when I make this just so I can freeze some for a quick dinner another night.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
MORE SOUP RECIPES
- Creamy Chicken Poblano Pepper Soup
- Chili’s Chicken Enchilada Soup (Copycat)
- Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup
HOW TO MAKE VEGETABLE SOUP IN THE INSTANT POT
- Place all of your ingredients in the instant pot. Lock the lid and seal the pressure valve.
- On manual mode, set the instant pot for 10 minutes on high. Let it release naturally.
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU ADD TO VEGETABLE SOUP?
- Bell peppers
- Mixed frozen veggies
- Kidney beans
- Kale or spinach
- Shredded cabbage
TIPS FOR MAKING VEGETABLE SOUP
- To save time, you can substitute a drained can of diced tomatoes for hand-diced tomatoes in this homemade vegetable soup recipe.
- Add browned ground beef, turkey, sausage, or cubed extra firm tofu to this recipe for a higher protein option. You can also use leftover Rotisserie Chicken!
- Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth to make this soup vegetarian. You can also change which broth you’re using depending on your flavor preference.
- If you’re going to add leafy greens to the soup, like kale or spinach, add them about 20 minutes before you’re ready to serve.
- Add some al dente pasta right before serving to add some carbs to this vegetable soup recipe.
- This recipe is dairy free as-is, but you can add ¾ cup of half and half or coconut milk just before serving for a creamy vegetable soup recipe.
- Add a dash of cayenne pepper, diced jalapeno, or red pepper flakes to add some spicy seasoning to this soup.
- For a thicker soup base, add 3-4 tablespoons of tomato puree.
- Use a taco seasoning packet for a Tex-Mex veggie soup and serve with crunchy tortilla chips.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 2 stalks celery , diced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 large potato , peeled and diced
- 2 carrots , sliced
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup green beans , chopped
- 2 vine tomatoes , diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups V-8 juice
- In a large stock pot add the olive oil over medium heat and sauté the onions, celery and garlic for 4-5 minutes until translucent.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and bringing to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes.