Grilled Veggie Sandwich is a great vegetarian dish that anyone would enjoy, made with a variety of ingredients like lettuce, tomato, zucchini, and mustard.
This simple Sandwich Recipe is perfect for a tasty lunch or healthy dinner. If you’re serving it as your main dish make some sides to round out the meal like Garlic Roasted Potatoes or Easy Wild Rice.
This Grilled Veggie Sandwich is packed full of amazing flavor, texture, and color. The zucchini, eggplant, onions, and bell pepper are all tossed in an easy oil dressing and then grilled up for savory, easy veggies. The grilled vegetables are topped off with fresh tomato and lettuce for a refreshing flavor in the buttery toast.
This Grilled Veggie Sandwich recipe is a perfect lunch served up with some potato chips or Sweet Potato Fries, but it also makes a great dinner with a bowl of soup. Serve it up with a warm cup of Cabbage Soup, Broccoli Cheddar Soup, or (if you don’t care about keeping the meal vegetarian) Chicken Noodle Soup. You can dip the sandwich in the comforting soup and let the bread soak up the broth. It’s the Panera Bread experience in your own home.
The Grilled Veggie Sandwich is wonderfully flavorful and has been a hit with everyone who tries it. Even people who aren’t big veggie fans might be converted by this easy recipe. Grilling up the vegetables ahead of time helps bring out the best taste in all of them for an amazing sandwich!
MORE VEGGIE RECIPES
TIPS FOR MAKING VEGGIE SANDWICHES
- Slice: Use a sharp knife to trim the ends off of the zucchini. Then cut it into 1/2-inch slices lengthwise so that you have long pieces. Next, slice the eggplant into 1/2-inch slices. Core your red bell pepper and cut it into 4 pieces. Then slice the red onions. Once the veggies are sliced add them to a medium bowl with oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and ground mustard. Toss them well until the vegetables are coated.
- Grill: Spray your grill pan with nonstick cooking spray, and put it on the stovetop over medium-high heat. Add the vegetables and grill them for 5-6 minutes on each side.
- Bread: Pop the sandwich bread in the toaster until golden brown. Then spread mayonnaise on one side of each piece of bread.
- Assemble: Layer the lettuce, grilled vegetables, and sliced tomatoes over the bottom slice of bread with the mayo facing in. Then top it off with the second slice to finish the Grilled Veggie Sandwich recipe.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON GRILLED VEGGIE SANDWICHES
- Veggie and Cheese Sandwich: For some melty goodness, as you’d find in a grilled cheese, just add your favorite kind of cheese to this recipe. Fresh mozzarella, provolone, Swiss, Pepper Jack, cheddar cheese, or gouda cheese would all taste amazing in this Vegetable and Cheese Sandwich.
- Veggies: There are plenty of other veggies you can add to the sandwich for some more variety. Yellow squash, spinach, arugula, mushrooms, or cucumber would make flavorful additions.
- Seasonings: Try flavoring the vegetables with fresh basil, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, rosemary, or red pepper flakes.
- Bread: There are plenty of different kinds of bread that you can use for this Grilled Veggie Sandwich. To change things up from regular sandwich bread try sourdough, rye, wheat bread, Italian bread, French bread, or ciabatta bread.
MORE SANDWICH RECIPES
HOW TO STORE GRILLED VEGGIE SANDWICH
- Serve: It’s best to serve your Grilled Veggie Sandwich while it’s still warm. To make sure it stays fresh, don’t leave it out for more than a few hours.
- Store: If you have any leftovers separate the veggies from the bread. You can store the vegetables in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. Then toast up fresh bread to remake the Grilled Veggie Sandwich. That way the bread won’t get soggy in the fridge.
- Freeze: You can also wrap and freeze the sandwich for up to 3 months. Let it thaw and then grill it again to reheat it.
- 1 zucchini
- 1 eggplant
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 red onion , thick slices
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 8 slices thick sandwich bread
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 vine tomatoes , sliced
- 8 leaves romaine lettuce
- Trim the ends off the zucchini and cut into 1/2″ slices lengthwise.
- Cut eggplant into 1/2″ thick slices.
- Core red bell pepper and cut into 4 pieces.
- Add zucchini, eggplant, bell pepper, and red onions to a medium bowl with oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and ground mustard and toss well.
- Spray a grill pan with vegetable oil spray.
- Heat grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Add vegetables to the grill pan and grill for 5-6 minutes on each side.
- Toast sandwich bread.
- Spread mayonnaise on one side of bread slices.
- Layer with lettuce, vegetables, sliced tomatoes, and lettuce.
- Top with the second slice of toasted bread.
- Press down gently and serve.