Vegetable Korma is a classic Indian dish with delicious spices and vegetables like green peas, bell peppers, carrots, onions, and potatoes.
Creamy Vegetable Korma is a delicious and traditional vegetarian dish. It’s perfect to enjoy over basmati rice with pita bread. For more traditional dishes from India, check out our recipes for Butter Chicken and Tandoori Chicken.
Indian Vegetable Korma is a classic comfort food dish. The meatless recipe is still plenty filling with a variety of vegetables, potatoes, and crunchy cashews. The potatoes bell peppers, carrots, frozen peas, and other veggies are cooked to fork-tender perfection and served in a rich, creamy Korma sauce. Then there’s a delicious crunch in the Korma recipe from the cashews. It’s also flavored with rich, warm spices like ginger, curry powder, and garlic.
You can serve creamy Vegetable Korma as your main dish for dinner. It’s perfect ladled over rice with naan on the side. If you’re serving a bigger group of people, you can double up the Vegetable Korma recipe, or serve it along with other Indian food recipes. Try cooking up some Chicken Masala or Vegetable Biryani.
One of the best things about these delicious dishes is how easy they are to make. With tasty spices and simple instructions, the recipe comes together in under a half-hour. Vegetable Korma is all cooked in one pan on the stovetop. It simply could not be easier to enjoy delicious and authentically flavored Indian food.
MORE INDIAN RECIPES
TIPS FOR MAKING VEGETABLE KORMA
- Prep time: Once you start cooking Vegetable Korma the recipe goes by pretty fast. To make sure you’re ready to get started, cut your vegetables into half inch pieces so they’re ready to toss in the skillet. Deseed the jalapeño when you slice it. Once the ingredients are prepped you can begin the recipe.
- Cook: Add oil to your skillet and put it on the stovetop at medium heat. Once the oil is slightly heated, add the yellow onion slices. Continue stirring as the onions cook to tender. Add the ginger and garlic. Cook for 1 minute. Next add the potatoes, carrots, jalapeño, cashews, and tomato sauce. Season the mixture with salt and curry powder. Continue cooking and stirring for 10 minutes.
- Korma sauce: Once the potatoes are tender you can add the peas, bell peppers, and cream. Reduce the heat to low and simmer the Vegetable Korma in the creamy sauce for 10 minutes.
- Serve: Garnish with cilantro and serve over rice.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
To make Vegan Korma, you need a vegan substitute for the heavy cream. Try using 1 cup coconut milk in place of the cream. You can use low-fat coconut milk or regular. If you’re worried the coconut milk won’t make the dish creamy enough, you can add a few spoonfuls of vegan Greek yogurt.
There are a variety of different vegetables you can try adding to your Veggie Korma. Try stirring in green beans, cauliflower florets, diced tomatoes, or mushrooms. You can also replace the potatoes in the recipe with sweet potatoes.
For some more flavoring and spices, try adding red pepper flakes, cumin seeds, bay leaf, mustard seeds, coriander powder, or ground cardamom to the recipe.
You can also make your own Garam Masala Seasoning to mix into the recipe. Combine 1 tablespoon ground cumin,
1½ teaspoons ground coriander, 1½ teaspoons ground cardamom, 1½ teaspoons ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground cloves, and ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg. Whisk the spices together then add them to the recipe according to your taste.
For more texture and flavor additions try almonds, poppy seeds, lemon juice, or paneer. Paneer is a kind of Indian cheese that’s great to serve on the side.
If you’re not on a vegetarian diet, you can add in some more protein and flavor with slices of cooked Chicken Breast.
INSTANT POT VEGETABLE KORMA
You can also make Vegetable Korma in the instant pot by following the steps below.
- Set the instant pot to sauté mode. Once it’s heated add the oil and onion. Once tender add the ginger and garlic to the instant pot. Sauté for 1 minute while stirring.
- Add the tomato sauce and spices to the instant pot. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, jalapeño, and cashews. Then pour 1 cup water over the top. Close the instant pot and set the vent to its sealed position. Pressure cook for 1 minute.
- Once the instant pot beeps, quick release the pressure.
- Add in the peas, bell pepper, and cream. Seal the instant pot again and cook for another minute.
- Garnish and serve.
MORE VEGETARIAN RECIPES
HOW TO STORE VEGETABLE KORMA
- Serve: Serve Vegetable Korma warm and don’t leave it out at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Once the Korma has cooled down, put it in an airtight container to store in the fridge. It will keep well for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: You can also put leftovers in a freezer-safe bag or airtight container and freeze it for up to 3 months.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion , finely diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger , minced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 russet potatoes , peeled and cubed
- 4 carrots , peeled and diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper , deseeded and chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper , deseeded and chopped
- 1 medium jalapeño , seeded, deveined and minced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup cashews , pulsed fine in a food processor
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro , optional
- 1/2 cup cashews , chopped
- Add butter to a large heavy skillet on medium heat, then stir in the onion and cook until translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add in ginger and garlic, and continue cooking for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add in the potatoes, carrots, red bell pepper, green bell pepper and jalapeños and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Stir in tomato sauce, curry powder, salt, pepper and ground almonds.
- Cook and stir for 6-8 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Add in heavy cream, bring to a simmer and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in peas until just heated through and garnish with cilantro and chopped cashews.