Panda Express Mixed Veggies is a mix of broccoli, zucchini, carrots, string beans and cabbage steamed in chicken stock for added flavor.
Panda Express Mixed Veggies may not be the most exciting thing on the menu (woohoo….steamed veggies? whomp whomp!) but they are fantastic in their own right. Why you ask?
- They don’t taste like regular steamed veggies thanks to the delicious stock they’re steamed with.
- They are fresh cut and still crisp tender.
- No fat. And to be honest when you’ve got Orange Chicken and Beijing Beef on your plate you’re going to need more than diet soda to counteract those menu choices!
So what makes these vegetables so special? Well aside from the stock they’re cooked in, the ease of making them by using a simple steamer basket is enough to consider this recipe a keeper. Plus with just the hint of the chicken stock flavor they are a great option to “bulk” up your plate of food for almost no calories.
Panda tends to use a variety of vegetables, but the last few times I ordered I’ve taken note on the ingredients in the Panda Express Mixed Veggies option and they’ve consistently included what the menu description states. I have also seen celery from time to time, but perhaps the cook who was making Chow Mein had some extra celery left and tossed it in with the veggies.
Back to our long running list of recipes from Panda express and we’re almost to the launch of the Panda Express Copycat Recipes E-book (free to subscribers! a more robust paid option to with shopping lists and nutrition facts)
There have been a heck of a lot of copycat recipes, including some Panda Express recipes including:
- Panda Express Mixed Veggies
- Panda Express Honey Walnut Shrimp
- Panda Express Cream Cheese Rangoon
- Panda Express Beef and Broccoli
- Panda Express Sweetfire Chicken Breast
- Panda Express Orange Chicken
- Panda Express Mushroom Chicken
- Panda Express Firecracker Chicken Breast
- Panda Express Chow Mein
- Panda Express Fried Rice
- Panda Express Black Pepper Chicken
- Panda Express Kung Pao Chicken
- Panda Express Beijing Beef
Panda Express Mixed Veggies (Copycat)
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Course: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 medium zucchini , sliced into 1/2 inch sliced and cut into half circles
- 1 cup carrots , peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound string beans , trimmed
- 1/4 head cabbage , cut into 2 inch pieces
- sesame seeds , optional
- salt or soy sauce , optional
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Heat the stock in a pot and fit a steamer basket into the pot.
- Add the vegetables and bring the stock to a boil on medium-high heat.
Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the basket and serve.
- Add salt or soy sauce to taste if you'd like.
Yield: 6 servings, Amount per serving: 69 calories, Calories: 69g, Carbohydrates: 11g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 2mg, Sodium: 145mg, Potassium: 429mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 5g, Vitamin A: 4020g, Vitamin C: 39.3g, Calcium: 51g, Iron: 1g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.