Panda Express Sweetfire Chicken Breast made with crispy chicken with garlic, red bell peppers, onions and pineapples in a sweet and spicy chili sauce.
I’ve been saving this Panda Express Sweetfire Chicken Breast recipe for a couple of months and let a couple of other Panda Express Recipes leapfrog it because I’m a total sap and thought it would be cute to save it for the Valentine’s Day lead up posts! I know, I know, I’m a total cheeseball.
This recipe is simple and leans pretty heavily on sweet chili sauce (I love this Trader Joe’s option for it) and is a pretty simple and straightforward recipe. The only thing I wanted to note in case you miss the note in the recipe section is that if you want it to be a true copycat don’t dice the chicken into cubes. You need to cut the chicken into thinner squares, so like a 1 inch by 1 inch square that is maybe 1/4 inch thick. Think of it like the shape of a matchbook a thin square.
So if you’ve been following along you know that I’ve been on a mission to recreate the entire Panda Express menu. Why you ask? Well, as a general rule if I go out for fast food my default options I usually pick are In-N-Out (I made the Animal Style Double Double Cheeseburger and the Animal Style French Fries) and Panda Express. So if you would like to take a trip down Chinese food memory lane, here are all the other recipes we have so far so you can build your two or three item plates at home.
- Panda Express Orange Chicken
- Panda Express Mushroom Chicken
- Panda Express Firecracker Chicken Breast
- Panda Express Chow Mein
- Panda Express Fried Rice
- Panda Express Black Pepper Chicken
- Panda Express Kung Pao Chicken
- Panda Express Beijing Beef
- Panda Express Mandarin Teriyaki Chicken
- Panda Express Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Panda Express String Bean Chicken Breast
- Panda Express Honey Walnut Shrimp
- Panda Express Cream Cheese Rangoon
- Panda Express Beef and Broccoli
- Panda Express Sweetfire Chicken Breast (you’re here!)
Also it is worth noting that even though the recipe uses white meat, this recipe is only marginally healthier than orange chicken. Just wanted to be up front about that with you guys. In the past I’ve seen the ads that highlight the healthier white meat in the recipe but a quick glance at the nutrition facts says it all. As cookie monster puts it (or at least did for a season or two when he ate veggies), we consider this a sometimes food. Haha. For Panda Express recipes I make all the time, I would stick to the Mushroom Chicken, Black Pepper Chicken and Kung Pao Chicken which are all pretty darn healthy.
Panda Express SweetFire Chicken Breast (Copycat)
- Yield: 6
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Course: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon vegetable oil , divided
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts , cut into 1-inch squares, but thinly*
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 large eggs , beaten
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 red bell pepper , chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 white onion , sliced into 1 inch thick wedges
- 2 cups pineapple , cubed into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup Thai sweet chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons green onions , chopped for garnish
- sesame seeds , for garnish
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Heat 1/2 cup of vegetable oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- In a large ziploc bag add the chicken and cornstarch, seal and shake until totally covered.
- Dip each piece into the egg to cover, then dregde into the flour (to be honest I usually just add flour back into the original ziploc bag and add the chicken back into it and shake it a little each time so the chicken doesn't stick to each other.)
Working in batches, cook for 2 minutes on the first side and one minute on the second side or until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the pan.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil in your skillet over medium high heat.
Add bell pepper, onion, garlic and pineapple
Cook until the bell pepper and pineapple just starts to wilt a little and is warm throughout (about 2-3 minutes)
- Add the chicken back in and add in the sweet chili sauce.
- Stir to combine everything and serve immediately.
- If using the green onions and sesame seeds, sprinkle them on top as a garnish.
* Don't dice the chicken into cubes. You need to cut the chicken into thinner squares, so like a 1 inch by 1 inch square that is maybe 1/4 inch thick. Think of it like the shape of a matchbook a thin square.
Yield: 6 , Amount per serving: 403 calories, Calories: 403g, Carbohydrates: 32g, Protein: 19g, Fat: 21g, Saturated Fat: 15g, Cholesterol: 102mg, Sodium: 323mg, Potassium: 427mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 16g, Vitamin A: 785g, Vitamin C: 53.7g, Calcium: 23g, Iron: 1.3g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.