Classic Beef Chili is a ONE POT classic comfort food made with ground beef, beans, crushed tomatoes, and spices, ready in under 45 minutes!
We know how important it is to make comfort food on cold winter days, thats why three of the most popular recipes on the site are Slow Cooker Beef Chili, Ultimate Slow Cooker Pot Roast and this recipe!
Classic Beef Chili is a popular all-time favorite comfort food, made with ground beef, kidney beans, and spices in a thick tomato sauce. Top this chili with sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese, and serve with plenty of corn chips or Corn Bread.
Honestly, this is the last chili recipe you’re ever going to need, it’s that good. Plus it only takes ONE POT to make, so there’s less to clean up afterwards! Or if you’re a big fan of Wendy’s Chili, here’s your perfect Copycat.
If you’re short on time, you can make this chili recipe with a packet of chili seasoning and a pinch of chipotle seasoning. This recipe also does great in the pressure cooker or the slow cooker, along with the stovetop. This is also the perfect meal prep recipe, and the total time to cook is under 60 minutes.
You can even make a double batch of this beef chili recipe and freeze half for a quick dinner another day. You’ll also love to serve this over baked potatoes the next day to use up leftovers.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
Slow Cooker Beef Chili
Brown the ground beef and onions in a skillet. Then add it with all other ingredients in a crock pot and stir together. Close the lid and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. If you make this in the crock pot, use a liner bag to make cleaning up really easy.
Instant Pot Beef Chili
Use the sauté feature to brown the ground beef and onions. Then add all other ingredients and stir together. Seal the lid and close the pressure valve. Set on manual high temperature for 20 minutes, then let it release naturally.
Frequently Asked Questions
Try adding diced fresh tomatoes, celery, bell peppers, green onions, zucchini, diced potatoes, corn, or mushrooms.
If you don’t want to use ground beef, you can substitute ground turkey or chorizo in this recipe. Or, make this vegetarian by crumbling extra firm tofu and adding a can of black beans and two tablespoons of olive oil.
The longer chili sits, the more developed the flavors become. Some people swear that chili is always better the next day!
Serve with shredded cheese, avocado slices, sour cream, chopped cilantro, corn chips, and lime wedges. You can also garnish with a few slices of pickled jalapeños.
You can make this more or less spicy by adding or taking away the cayenne pepper or adding chopped jalapeños when you sauté the onion. If your chili is too spicy, add a few tablespoons of brown sugar to cut the spice down and add a nice molasses flavor. For a different flavor, add some chopped chiles in adobo to the ground beef while it’s browning.
This recipe uses kidney beans but you can use any beans that you have, or a mixture of several types.
How to Store Beef Chili
- Serve: Beef Chili can be left at room temperature for up to two hours.
- Store: Beef chili will last in the fridge for 4-5 days, stored in an airtight container.
- Freeze: You can also cool the chili completely, wrap it tightly and freeze it for 2-3 months.
- 2 pounds ground beef , 85/15
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 15 ounces canned kidney beans , rinsed and drained
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- In a large pot over medium heat add the ground beef and onion, cooking until no longer pink and the onions are soft.
- Drain and discard the fat and add the garlic, stirring and cooking until you can smell it.
- Add the tomato paste and chili powder, cumin, cayenne, salt, pepper, kidney beans and tomatoes. Bring it up to a boil, then reduce to a simmer (low heat) and cook for 30 minutes.
Photo used in a previous version of this post.