An EASY, classic Slow Cooker Beef Chili that takes no effort and makes a perfect meal the family will love. Perfect for dinner or game day!
SLOW COOKER BEEF CHILI
Slow Cooker Beef Chili is a family favorite for game day party offerings. With a big crowd, the last thing you want to be doing is nursing a pot on the stove and making sure the bottom of the pot of chili doesn’t burn.
Making chili in a slow cooker is one of the easiest and healthiest ways you can make it and with a low and slow cook time the meat and beans melt together into a perfectly wonderful, hearty dish.
Beef chili recipes are popular on the site and you can eat chili as a quick and healthy meal, even with takeout like Wendy’s Chili (Copycat). Lower in fat than most red meat dishes and with a high fiber content thanks to the beans, this Slow Cooker Chili is a hearty meal that you can enjoy even when you’re trying to eat healthily.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
SOME SLOW COOKER CHILI TIPS:
- This recipe uses kidney beans, but you can certainly use other beans as well like navy beans, white beans, or black beans. The firmness of the skin of the kidney bean holds up well even in the slow cooker.
- HEAT! If you like things spicy definitely add in the jalapeño and kick up the chili powder.
- Careful with chili powder, different varieties can have different heat levels. This recipe uses standard supermarket chili powder.
- Brown the meat before adding it to the slow cooker, it helps for both texture and flavor.
- You’ll only use ¼ cup tomato paste in this recipe, if you have leftovers you can freeze them in small ziploc bags or in ice trays so you don’t waste a whole can.
- If you want a deeper beef flavor, add in a spoonful of beef base to the recipe too. Beef broth is not recommended as it would thin the chili too much.
- You can use Beef Base in addition to or in place of beef stock/broth. This way you can double up on the intensity without waiting for beef stock to reduce to intensify flavor.
LOOKING FOR MORE SLOW COOKER RECIPES?
- Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak and Mashed Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Garlic Chicken
- Slow Cooker Roast Beef (Sliceable!)
- Ultimate Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- Ultimate Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
PS, you’ll also want to try this awesome Southern Cornbread to enjoy with this crockpot chili. It isn’t that normal super sweet cornbread you see in your regular grocery stores!
Tools Used in making this Slow Cooker Chili:
Slow Cooker: Love this slow cooker and how programmable it is, it is a workhorse. There is also…
New Slow Cooker: This recipe was made in this slow cooker. You can brown the meat in the insert without losing a bunch of the flavor by transferring the meat and leaving the browned bits behind. If you’re thinking of a new slow cooker, consider it if your budget is open.
Cast Iron Skillet: If you don’t have a slow cooker with a stovetop friendly insert, this a great versatile pan in the kitchen, heavy, keeps heat well and gives the BEST sear ever.
HOW TO STORE SLOW COOKER BEEF CHILI
- Serve: You shouldn’t leave cooked meat at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Let the Slow Cooker Beef Chili cool down, then seal it in an airtight container to store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freeze: To keep leftover chili longer, you can freeze it for 2-3 months.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef , 80/20
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 16-ounce cans red kidney beans , rinsed and drained
- 29 ounces canned diced tomatoes , not drained
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 minced jalapeno , optional (if you want it spicy)
- 1/2 cup saltine cracker crumbs , finely ground
- Cook the beef and onion together in a large pot or cast iron skillet over medium high heat until the beef is browned well.
- Add it to the slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook on high heat for 3 hours or on low heat for 6 hours.