White Bean Chicken Chili is a warm, hearty comforting soup made with chicken breast, white beans, corn, green chiles, tomatillos, and spices.
Soups and Chilis make warming dinners perfect to enjoy on cold nights. A slightly spicy Mexican inspired recipe like Easy Taco Soup or this chili will warm you right up!
The next time you’re looking for a brand new chili recipe to try out, you should try this one! With quick prep and cook times, made on the stove top, and a really easy recipe to follow, this is a sure fire winner, even if it is your first time making chili. This White Bean Chicken Chili recipe is perfect for family gatherings, chili cook-off, and dinner tonight!
To make White Bean Chicken Chili, start by chopping up all the necessary ingredients. Saute the onion and garlic on medium-high heat, then add the broth, chicken pieces, tomatillos, tomatoes, green chiles, and spices. Then, all that’s left is to let it simmer, stir in the corn and beans and enjoy with your favorite toppings!
This is a great recipe to make ahead of time for a quick freezer dinner. Prepare the chili up until the corn and beans step. Cool completely, freeze in a plastic storage bag for up to 3 months. When you are ready to serve, thaw overnight and heat in a pot until boiling. Reduce the heat to low, add beans and corn, and simmer for 5 minutes.
Of course, we all know chili is even better with its amazing sidekick, Cornbread! Tender and sweet cornbread is perfect to butter and enjoy on the side, or dip right into the creamy broth. It’s the perfect way to balance out the delicious, warm flavors of the White Chicken Chili, like coriander, cumin, and green chiles. Serve this chili with toppings like cool sour cream and avocado, spicy Salsa, and shredded cheese.
More Hearty & Easy Soup Recipes
Tips for Making This Recipe
- Garlic and onions: To start off, heat the vegetable oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add the chopped yellow onions and minced garlic. Saute the two ingredients until they are soft and the onions are starting to become translucent.
- Simmer: For the next step, pour in the chicken broth. Add the chicken, tomatillos, tomatoes, green chilies, and spices. Mix the ingredients together. Once the mixture comes to a boil turn down the heat level and let all the flavors simmer together for 10 minutes. Pour in the corn and beans. Simmer for another 5 minutes. The chili should start to thicken as it simmers. Stir occasionally to help it heat evenly.
- Serve: Once the cooking time is done the meat should be tender enough to easily shred with a fork. Serve up bowls and top with cheese, sour cream, and other favorite chili add-ins.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON WHITE BEAN CHICKEN CHILI
- Add-ins: The great thing about savory soups and chilis is the variety of different ingredients to add depending on your taste. White Bean Chicken Chili would taste great with some fresh cilantro, jalapeno, white onions, or cherry tomatoes.
- Meat: You can always replace the chicken in the recipe with turkey breast. For some extra meat try adding bacon bits to the original recipe.
- Spices: To add a little bit of a bite to White Bean Chicken Chili, stir in some chili powder or cayenne pepper. Try other seasonings like rosemary, paprika, ginger, turmeric, or a tablespoon fennel seeds.
- Creamy chili: To make a thicker, more creamy dish, mix in 4 ounces of cubed cream cheese. To get the same texture without as much fat, you can use light cream cheese. Mix the cream in after cooking the rest of the ingredients right before serving. It will melt into the broth for a rich, thick consistency.
- Toppings: Everybody loves adding their favorite toppings to chili, the most obvious one being cheese! Try different kinds of flavorful cheese like cheddar, Monterrey Jack Cheese, Pepper Jack, Mozzarella, Swiss, or Gouda. You could also top off your bowl with sliced avocado, tortilla chips, chives, sour cream, peppers, or green onions.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Add the chicken breast to the bottom of the slow cooker, then add the seasoning over the top.
- Pour the tomatillos, tomatoes, green chiles, onion, minced garlic, Northern white beans, and corn on top.
- Finish it off with the liquid chicken broth and stir.
- Cover the crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the chicken to a bowl to shred it then return it to the slow cooker.
The perfect sides for this chili!
How to Store
- Serve: Ladle servings of chili into bowls while it’s still hot. Serve it fresh, and don’t leave it out for longer than 2 hours.
- Store: Cool to room temperature then put it in an airtight storage container to keep in the fridge. It will stay good in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: Store left-over chicken chili in the freezer for up to 3 months. Seal the chili in freezer bags or another airtight freezer container so it stays fresh. Let thaw in the fridge and then reheat it on the stove top until warmed through.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 boneless chicken breasts , diced
- 18.75 ounce tomatillos , canned, drained and chopped
- 16 ounce diced tomatoes , canned
- 7 ounce diced green chiles , canned
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups corn
- 30 ounces white beans , canned
- Heat oil on medium heat in a large pot.
- Sauté onion and garlic until soft.
- Stir in broth, chicken, tomatillos, tomatoes, chiles, and spices.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add corn and beans; simmer 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
So this not chili, it’s a soup