Easy Taco Soup made with ground beef, tomatoes, corn, beans, and seasoning is the PERFECT way to enjoy the taco flavors you love in a one pot dinner!
We are all about ONE POT soups this winter, and we’re excited to share our favorites with you, like Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup, Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup, and Ultimate Slow Cooker Beef Stew!
EASY TACO SOUP
Easy Taco Soup is made with ground beef, veggies, beans, and both ranch AND taco seasoning for an incredibly flavorful, hearty soup your family is going to love. It’s basically like a quick and easy soup recipe meets taco night. All of the flavor, with less cleanup afterwards!
Leave out the spicy chiles and use mild taco seasoning to make this more kid-friendly. If you don’t want to make this on the stovetop, it works really well in the crock pot or instant pot! I serve this almost every time we get together for a game night and it’s a hit 100% of the time!
Taco Soup FAQs and Cooking Alternatives:
CAN YOU FREEZE TACO SOUP?
This taco soup recipe is totally freezer-safe. I almost always make extra, then freeze it in an airtight container for another night. It will keep about 6 months frozen.
HOW TO MAKE TACO SOUP IN A SLOW COOKER
- In a large skillet, add a tablespoon of olive oil, onions, and ground beef. Cook until ground beef is browned.
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker, stir, and cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 8 hours.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.
MORE GROUND BEEF SOUP RECIPES
HOW TO MAKE TACO SOUP IN AN INSTANT POT
Use the sauté function of the instant pot to brown the ground beef and onions with a drizzle of oil.
Add all other ingredients to the instant pot and stir together. Close the lid and seal the pressure valve.
In manual setting, set on high for a total time of 10 minutes, then let it release naturally. Garnish and serve.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE TACO SEASONING
Mix together all of these ingredients to make your own taco seasoning that you can pull out any time you’re having taco night or making a Tex-Mex recipe!
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon corn starch
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- ½ tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes (optional – use more or less depending on your spice tolerance)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Create a free account to Save Recipes
FAQs and flavor ideas
You don’t have the follow the recipe ingredients strictly, this soup is versatile.
HOW TO THICKEN TACO SOUP
Thicken taco soup by adding a few tablespoons of tomato paste, until you reach the consistency you want. You can also add more meat and black beans to add bulk to the soup.
HOW TO MAKE TACO SOUP WITHOUT BEANS
If you’re not a fan of beans, you can easily leave them out of this taco soup recipe. I would recommend adding more vegetables to help bulk up the dish, plus it’s a healthy addition. Try adding diced potatoes, green beans, bell peppers, or carrots.
MORE SOUP RECIPES
TIPS FOR MAKING TACO SOUP
- You can make this taco soup recipe with other meat, like ground turkey or shredded chicken breast. I’ve also made this with leftover rotisserie chicken.
- Make this taco soup spicy with a dash of cayenne pepper, or use the hot version of diced tomatoes with chiles. You can also add diced poblano or jalapeno peppers with the onion.
- Make this taco soup vegetarian by leaving out the meat and using vegetable broth. If you want more protein or bulk to the soup, add another can of black beans, or cubed extra firm tofu.
- For garnish, you can top this taco soup recipe with avocado slices, sour cream, shredded cheddar, or fresh cilantro.
- Serve with tortilla chips or toasted bread.
HOW TO STORE TACO SOUP
- Serve: Don’t leave taco soup at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Once the soup has cooled, you can store it in the fridge. Kept in an airtight container it will stay good for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: This recipe can also be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let it thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating the soup on the stovetop.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 packet ranch dressing mix
- 15 ounces dark kidney beans , drained and rinsed
- 15 ounces pinto beans , drained and rinsed
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes with chiles
- 2 cups corn
- 2 cups beef broth
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- Add the ground beef and onion to a large dutch oven on medium heat and cook until browned then add in the taco and ranch seasonings and mix well.
- Add in the kidney beans, pinto beans, diced tomatoes, corn, broth and crushed tomatoes, mix well.
- Bring to a boil before reducing to a simmer and cooking for 15 minutes before serving.