Spicy Beef and Potato Soup is a hearty, rich, flavorful dish made with ground beef, potatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, cayenne pepper, and chili powder.
SPICY BEEF AND POTATO SOUP
This rich Beef and Potato Soup is the perfect way to change up your Weeknight Dinner rotation. The ground beef and potatoes make this a hearty and filling recipe, while the chili powder and cayenne pepper add a unique spiced flavor to the dish. It’s easy to downplay or pump up the spicy flavor depending on your family’s taste, so this dinner is soup is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
Potatoes and beef are the perfect comfort food match. Both of them are filling, tender, and do a great job absorbing the flavorful broth around them. The potatoes are also a nice balance to the spicier flavors and help to keep the taste balanced.
Spicy Beef and Potato Soup takes over an hour to make, but most of that time is just a matter of leaving the ingredients to simmer together. This one-pot dinner is very simple and you’ll love how the smell of spices fill your home while it cooks. For a quicker version scroll down to find the instant pot directions.
HOW TO MAKE SPICY BEEF AND POTATO SOUP
- Brown: Add oil to the base of your dutch oven and turn the stove to high heat. Put in the ground beef, onion, salt, and pepper. Mix the meat and onions together and break the meat apart as it browns on all sides. This will take 6-8 minutes.
- Broth: Pour in the beef broth, then mix in the tomato sauce, cayenne pepper, and chili powder.
- Potatoes: Cut the Yukon potatoes into bite-sized pieces, then add them to the soup and bring it to a boil.
- Simmer: Leave the soup to cook uncovered for an hour until the potatoes are tender. You can leave the pot to simmer on its own and just come back to stir it on occasion.
MORE SOUP RECIPES
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON SPICY BEEF AND POTATO SOUP
- Meat: For a change in the protein try using ground turkey or ground chicken in place of the ground beef in your soup.
- Potatoes: If you don’t have russet potatoes, you can also use Yukon potatoes, red potatoes, or even sweet potatoes.
- Add-ins: One of the great things about any soup recipe is that you can add a lot of different ingredients to experiment with the flavor. Try adding vegetables like celery, carrots, corn, peas, green beans, and diced tomatoes. You could also add different flavorings to the Spicy Beef and Potato Soup with seasonings like garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cumin, and thyme.
- Creamy Potato Soup: To make a rich, creamy soup add ⅓ cup all-purpose flour, 2 ½ cups milk, and ½ cup sour cream to the broth and mix it in.
INSTANT POT SPICY BEEF AND POTATO SOUP
- Set your instant pot to saute mode and add oil to the base of it.
- Add ground beef, onion, salt, and pepper to the pot. Break it apart and saute them until the beef is browned on all sides.
- Mix in the tomato sauce, beef broth, cayenne pepper, chili powder, and chopped potatoes.
- Seal the instant pot and pressure cook it for 20 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes before naturally releasing it.
- Ladle the Spicy Beef and Potato Soup into the bowls and enjoy while still hot.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SPICY BEEF AND POTATO SOUP
HOW TO STORE SPICY BEEF AND POTATO SOUP
- Serve: Don’t leave Beef and Potato Soup at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Let the soup cool to room temperature, then put it in an airtight container to store in the fridge. It will keep well in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: You can also make the soup up to 6 months ahead of time and store it in an airtight container the freezer.
- Add oil to a large pot or dutch oven on high heat.
- Add ground beef, onion, salt, and pepper, breaking it apart as you cook it until browned, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add in the tomato sauce, beef broth, cayenne pepper, and chili powder and stir well.
- Add in the potatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to low heat and cook, uncovered, for 1 hour.