Beef Stroganoff Soup takes classic comfort food and makes it even more soothing in a soup dish with tender beef, mushrooms, and creamy broth.
BEEF STROGANOFF SOUP
Beef Stroganoff Soup has everything you love about classic Beef Stroganoff made into a comforting, one-pot soup. The beef, mushrooms, and noodles are all served in a warm, creamy broth that’s similar to a stroganoff sauce. The rich taste of the beef goes perfectly with the thick broth, and the egg noodles absorb the flavor around them to make each bite perfect.
Just like Broccoli and Cheddar or Vegetable and Rice Soup, this creamy dish is much more filling than it would be if it were just in a plain broth. Mixing the sour cream and cream cheese into the broth not only makes a richer taste, but it also makes this dish into a more filling dinner. Just this one-pot meal should be enough to feed your family and you don’t have to worry about making a lot of sides or other dishes to fill out the dinner.
Making Beef Stroganoff Soup on the stovetop is very easy. Although you have to let the beef and broth simmer for a full hour, you can leave the pot mostly unattended during that time. If you want an even more hands-off recipe try the slow cooker or instant pot versions later in this post.
MORE SOUP RECIPES
HOW TO MAKE BEEF STROGANOFF SOUP
- Sear: Add vegetable oil to a dutch oven or large pot over high heat. Cut the chuck roast into bite-sized pieces and season with salt and pepper. Put the beef in the pot and sear on all sides. This should only take about 8-10 minutes. Slice the onions and cook for 4-5 minutes until translucent.
- Broth: Add in 8 cups of beef broth and 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce to the pot. Bring the broth to a boil, then reduce the heat. Cook with the lid off for 1 hour.
- Mushrooms and noodles: Add egg noodles, mushrooms, cream cheese, and sour cream to the dutch oven. Stir the mixture together until the cream cheese and sour cream blend into the broth. Cook for another 15 minutes.
- Serve: Ladle into bowls and serve while still hot.
VARIATIONS ON BEEF STROGANOFF SOUP
- Noodles: If you don’t have egg noodles, you could also try shell noodles, elbow noodles, rotini, farfalle, or other short noodles.
- Add-ins: For some more filling ingredients add some chopped Yukon potatoes along with the pasta. Or to add some more vegetables to your Beef Stroganoff Soup toss in some carrots, celery, and frozen peas.
- Seasoning: For some extra flavor mix in seasonings like onion powder, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning.
INSTANT POT BEEF STROGANOFF
- Set the instant pot to sauté mode and add some oil to the bottom.
- Sear the seasoned stew meat on all sides, then add the onions.
- Add in the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce. Seal the pot and pressure cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Use natural release for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and switch the instant pot back to sauté mode.
- Add in the mushrooms, noodles, cream cheese, and sour cream and continue to cook it until the noodles are tender.
SLOW COOKER BEEF STROGANOFF SOUP
- Sear the seasoned beef and onions in a skillet before adding them to the slow cooker.
- Add in the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- About 20 minutes before serving add in the sliced mushrooms, egg noodles, cream cheese, and sour cream.
- Mix in the cream cheese and sour cream until combined.
- Serve the soup once the noodles are tender.
SIDES TO SERVE WITH BEEF STROGANOFF
HOW TO STORE BEEF STROGANOFF SOUP
- Serve: Don’t leave Beef Stroganoff Soup at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: The soup can keep well for 3-4 days in the fridge. Wait for it to cool, then store it in an airtight container.
- Freeze: You can keep Beef Soup in the freezer for up to 3 months. Just cook the soup as usual, but leave the noodles out. When you’re ready to serve the soup let it defrost in the fridge then heat it on the stove and add in the noodles.
Beef Stroganoff Soup
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 27 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 32 minutes
- Course: Soup
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 pounds beef stew meat , or cut up chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 8 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups mushrooms , sliced
- 8 ounces egg noodles , cooked
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 3/4 cup sour cream
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Add oil to a large pot or dutch oven on high heat.
- Season beef with salt and pepper.
Add to the pot and sear on all sides, about 8-10 minutes.
Add in the onions and cook for 4-5 minutes, until translucent.
- Add in beef broth and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat.
Cook, uncovered, for 1 hour.
Add in the mushrooms, egg noodles, cream cheese, and sour cream stir well and cook for 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately (the noodles will continue to absorb the soup as it sits).
Yield: 8 Servings, Amount per serving: 275 calories, Calories: 275g, Carbohydrates: 5g, Protein: 30g, Fat: 14g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 89mg, Sodium: 1956mg, Potassium: 712mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 213g, Vitamin C: 2g, Calcium: 88g, Iron: 3g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.