Ground Beef Cabbage Soup is an easy, one-pot, comforting soup with tender beef, rich tomato flavor, cabbage, and other veggies. Ready in just a half-hour!
GROUND BEEF CABBAGE SOUP
Ground Beef and Cabbage Soup is a great weeknight meal, especially in the fall and winter when it’s super comforting and warming. As soon as it starts to get colder outside it’s great to count on warm dishes like this recipe, Slow Cooker Beef Stew, and Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup to keep you and your family well-fed and cozy.
On top of keeping you warm, this Beef and Cabbage Soup recipe is also budget-friendly and easy to make. Once you’ve browned the beef and onion, you just have to let the ingredients simmer together on the stove top. Of course, if you have an especially busy day and just want your dinner ready when you get home, you can always prep things in the slow cooker and let it cook throughout the day. Find the Slow Cooker version of this easy soup below.
MORE SOUP AND STEW RECIPES
While Cabbage Soup is wonderfully comforting, it’s also pretty healthy. It’s packed full of delicious vegetables, and the beef provides all the protein you need. It’s also gluten-free and low carb.
This Beef and Cabbage Soup is sometimes called Cabbage Roll Soup. That’s because it contains similar ingredients to a traditional cabbage roll. Except instead of rolling it in cabbage leaves the healthy ingredients are simmered together for a delicious soup. It’s just as simple but more hearty and comforting.
VARIATIONS ON GROUND BEEF CABBAGE SOUP
- Meat: If you don’t want to use beef you can swap it out for ground turkey or ground chicken. If you use chicken or a different kind of meat, you can use chicken broth instead of beef stock. You could also try different kinds of beef. Instead of ground beef try adding chuck roast or corned beef to this soup. Cut the beef into bite-sized pieces and brown them as usual.
- Healthy: This Cabbage and Beef Soup is already a fairly healthy recipe. It’s gluten-free and low carb. However, if you want to make it even more diet-friendly you can use lean ground beef so there is less saturated fat. Another way to lighten it up is low-sodium broth to reduce the salt.
- More filling ingredients: If you’re making this soup recipe for a bigger crowd and want to add some more filling ingredients try tossing in some brown rice and kidney beans.
- Other add-ins: There are so many different add-ins you can experiment with the next time you make Ground Beef and Cabbage Soup. Try putting in some bay leaf, cumin, or Italian seasoning. You could also chop up some chopped fire-roasted tomatoes or minced garlic. If you put in garlic, brown the minced garlic on the stove top along with the ground beef.
SLOW COOKER GROUND BEEF CABBAGE SOUP
- Add oil to a large skillet over high heat. Then toss in the ground beef, salt, pepper, and chopped onion.
- Brown the beef on all sides while breaking it apart.
- Once browned add the beef and onion to the crock pot.
- Chop the cabbage, carrots, and celery.
- Pour the beef broth, tomato sauce, cabbage, carrots, celery, and diced tomatoes into the crock pot.
- Stir all the ingredients together in the slow cooker.
- Cook the soup on high for 4 hours until the carrots are cooked through and tender.
INSTANT POT GROUND BEEF CABBAGE SOUP
- Set your instant pot to sauté mode and add some olive oil to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the ground beef, salt, pepper, and chopped onion to the instantpot and sauté on all sides until browned.
- Pour the beef broth, tomato sauce, cabbage, carrots, celery, and diced tomatoes into the instant pot with the beef.
- Seal the instant pot and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes.
- Quick-release the pressure from the instant pot and serve.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH GROUND BEEF AND CABBAGE SOUP
HOW TO STORE GROUND BEEF AND CABBAGE SOUP
- Serve: Once the soup is cooked, enjoy it warm. Don’t leave Ground Beef and Cabbage Soup at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Once the soup has cooled, seal it in an airtight container and store it in the fridge. If properly stored this Beef and Cabbage Soup recipe will keep well in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: This is also a great recipe to make a double batch of and freeze some for a few months later. You can keep Beef and Cabbage Soup in the freezer for 2-3 months. Keep it in a freezer bag or other airtight container. When you’re ready to reheat the soup, let it thaw in the fridge overnight. Then reheat it in a dutch oven or other large pot on the stovetop over medium-high heat.
Ground Beef Cabbage Soup
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Course: Soup
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 1 pound ground beef , (85/15)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 cups cabbage , cut into 1" chunks
- 2 carrots , sliced
- 2 stalks celery , sliced
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes , do not drain
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Add oil to a large pot or dutch oven on high heat.
Add ground beef, onion, salt, and pepper, breaking it apart as you cook it until browned, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add in the tomato sauce, beef broth, cabbage, carrots, celery, and diced tomatoes then stir well.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes until cabbage and carrots are tender.
Yield: 8 Servings, Amount per serving: 168 calories, Calories: 168g, Carbohydrates: 9g, Protein: 14g, Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 39mg, Sodium: 1244mg, Potassium: 574mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 5g, Vitamin A: 2808g, Vitamin C: 22g, Calcium: 61g, Iron: 2g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.