Easy Cheeseburger Soup is a mouthwatering cheesy, beefy, creamy potato soup recipe. The ultimate go-to comfort food all year long, ready in just one hour!
Turning easy dinners, like tacos or enchiladas, into a tasty soup is a great way to switch up weeknight meals! This Cheeseburger Soup tastes as mind-blowing as it sounds. Packed with cheddar cheese and ground beef, this creamy potato soup will be your new go-to family favorite any night of the week.
Easy to Make, Inexpensive Ingredients!
Cheeseburger Soup is ready in under an hour with budget friendly ingredients like ground beef, russet potatoes, and canned cheese soup. It’s a great recipe to use leftovers and whatever is in your pantry.
This soup does take two pots to make as seen below, because we’re making a roux with a homemade cheese sauce. You can cut down on time with pre-made swaps too.
Add veggies like canned diced tomatoes, swap in Grilled Chicken for the beef, or use Velvetta cheese instead of the cheese soup. It’s so easy to make your own!
The best part of this easy Cheeseburger Soup recipe is that you can make it on the stovetop, the crock pot, or an Instant Pot, depending on how much hands on time you have to prepare dinner. See the bottom of this post for Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup and Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup variations!
MORE DELICIOUS AND EASY SOUP RECIPES
What to serve with your soup?
For a hearty, yet light, main dish, serve Cheeseburger Soup with Dinner Rolls and Roasted Broccoli or Big Mac Salad. This hamburger soup is a great side dish along with other All-American dinner favorites like Cheeseburger Hamburger Helper or any of these delicious Sloppy Joe Recipes!
Can you Freeze Cheeseburger Soup Ahead of Time?
Cream and cheese based soups like Cheeseburger Soup don’t freeze well, since the dairy separates as it reheats. To freeze Cheeseburger Soup ahead of time, prepare up until you begin the butter-flour mixture. Cool and freeze soup without dairy. Thaw overnight and reheat on the stove top. Once hot, prepare the butter-flour mixture and add cheddar soup, milk, and cheese as normal.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON CHEESEBURGER SOUP
- Bacon: Make a Bacon Cheeseburger Soup by adding 6-8 slices cooked bacon with the potatoes and carrots. Serve with bacon bits as a garnish.
- Potatoes: Swap out the russet potatoes with Yukon gold potatoes or red potatoes. You can also use a bag of shredded hash browns, just add them in frozen and allow to cook with the carrots.
- Veggies: Add canned or frozen veggies you have on like corn, broccoli, bell peppers, diced tomatoes, or green chiles to make this Cheeseburger Soup more hearty.
- Cheese: Slice up a block of Velvetta cheese, use canned cheese soup or homemade Cheddar Cheese Soup to replace the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Toppings: Top your Cheeseburger Soup with sour cream, pickles, green onions, diced jalapeños, diced tomatoes, or croutons. Try it with the sesame seed burger croutons from Big Mac Pasta Salad!
Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup
- Sauté beef and onions with seasonings in a large skillet over medium-high heat until meat is browned and onions are translucent.
- Drain beef mixture and place in slow cooker.
- Add potatoes, carrots, celery, and broth to the crock pot. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours on low, or 2-3 hours on high.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk flour and butter until butter is cooked. Whisk in cheese soup then milk, one at a time, until fully combined.
- Stir in cheese soup mixture to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese and serve.
Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup
- Turn Instant Pot to Sauté function and brown beef with seasonings and onions. Drain grease.
- Deglaze pot with 1 cup broth to remove any browned bits sticking to bottom and sides.
- Add potatoes, carrots, celery, and remaining broth to Instant Pot.
- Seal lid and pressure valve. Cook on Manual High for 5 minutes and naturally release pressure for 10 minutes before quick release.
- Prepare flour-butter mixture with cheese soup and milk as usual.
- Turn Instant Pot on Soup Function and stir in milk-cheese soup mixture. Simmer 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with shredded cheese on top.
OTHER HEARTY SOUP RECIPES TO TRY
HOW TO STORE CHEESEBURGER SOUP
- Serve: Cheeseburger Soup is best served hot and fresh. Be sure to stir occasionally if it is sitting for a while, and don’t keep at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Cool Cheeseburger Soup completely before storing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stove top, stirring occasionally, until hot to serve.
- Freeze: Place cooled Cheeseburger Soup in a sealed container and freeze for up to 3 months. For best results, freeze without milk and cheese mixture or stir frequently when reheating.
- 1 pound ground beef , (80/20)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 3 medium carrots , diced
- 2 stalks celery , diced
- 4 medium russet potatoes , diced (about 4 cups)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese , freshly shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- Add ground beef, salt, black pepper, thyme and onions to a large dutch oven on medium heat and cook, breaking it apart, for 5-6 minutes until well browned and the onions are translucent.
- Add the carrots, celery and potatoes to the pot with the beef and onion mixture and stir well.
- Add in the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 12-15 minutes until the carrots and potatoes are tender.
- In a second pot add the butter and flour on medium heat.
- Whisk well until the flour is cooked and well mixed with the butter.
- Whisk in the cheddar cheese until smooth then slowly whisk in the whole milk until smooth.
- Add the cheese sauce into the soup and stir until creamy.
- Top with cheddar cheese and croutons if desired and serve.