Easy Chicken Taco Soup is an easy weeknight dinner with chicken breasts and easy pantry ingredients like chili beans, black beans, corn and green chilies.
CHICKEN TACO SOUP
Easy stovetop soups are the best weeknight meals when you are short on time. This delicious Mexican chicken soup is packed with flavor and ready in only 30 minutes. Chicken Taco Soup is perfect for a one pot chicken dinner or can be served as a side dish for your next Mexican dinner night!
This delicious Chicken Taco Soup has big list of ingredients but most of them are canned so the fanciest kitchen tool you need is a can opener. Chicken Taco Soup is an inexpensive dinner that feeds a crowd and you can easily double the recipe for leftovers or a freezer meal for later.
Chicken Taco Soup is a great meal to make ahead. Cook the soup completely and shred the chicken. Allow the soup to cool to room temperature, then place in a freezer safe bag or container and freeze for up to 3 months. Simply reheat on the stovetop or in a slow cooker until hot.
One of the best parts of Chicken Taco Soup is how easy it is to swap ingredients and still get a delicious meal. Use pinto beans instead of black beans. Go vegetarian by using more beans and no chicken and swapping veggie broth for chicken broth. There are some more ideas to make this easy recipe your own below.
Chicken Taco Soup is a hearty, one pot meal you can serve with Cornbread, Dinner Rolls, or flour tortillas. Make it a more complete meal with Mexican Rice and Black Beans, or serve as a starter with Chicken Enchiladas. Finish off your Mexican feast with Cinnamon Tortilla Chips and Fruit Salsa.
MORE SOUP RECIPES
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON CHICKEN TACO SOUP
- Meat: This soup can be made with beef stew meat, pork loin, chicken thighs, or ground turkey. If you use beef or pork, brown it first so it locks in flavor and cooks faster.
- Seasonings: You can add your favorite taco seasonings like cumin and chili powder to give more flavor. Or use 4 tablespoons Homemade Taco Seasoning instead of packets. Add 2 tablespoons Ranch Dressing Mix for more flavor!
- Spicy: To make your Chicken Taco Soup more spicy, add ground cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, or fresh jalapeños. If you prefer a milder dish, you can leave out the canned green chiles.
- Veggies: You can add more vegetables to this soup like bell peppers, green beans, or carrots. Sauté the veggies with the onion to soften them. You can also use frozen whole kernel corn, just thaw and drain before adding.
- Toppings: Garnish your Chicken Taco Soup with your favorite taco toppings. Diced green onions, sliced avocado, Fresh Salsa, and hot sauce would all be delicious!
Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
- To make Chicken Taco Soup in the slow cooker, start by heating slow cooker on high for a few minutes.
- Sauté the onion and garlic, then turn off heat.
- Place the rest of the ingredients besides garnish into the crock pot, stir and cover with lid.
- Cook on low for 6 hours. Take the chicken breasts out to shred and then return to crockpot. Mix well and serve.
Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup
- Set the Instant Pot to the Sauté function and add oil, onions and minced garlic cloves. Cook until softened and turn off Instant Pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except for the garnish, and stir to combine.
- Cover with lid and turn the pressure valve to sealed position. Set Instant Pot to the Soup function (or Manual High pressure) for 30 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure when the timer goes off. Remove the chicken carefully and shred.
- Return the chicken to the Instant Pot, stir until mixed, and serve with garnishes.
MORE MEXICAN SOUP RECIPES
HOW TO STORE CHICKEN TACO SOUP
- Serve: You can keep Chicken Taco Soup at room temperature for up to 2 hours. Pop it in a crockpot and keep warm for up to 4 hours.
- Store: Cool your Chicken Taco Soup completely before storing in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- Freeze: Place cooled Chicken Taco Soup in a sealed container and freeze for up to 3 months.
- 2 pounds chicken breasts , diced (boneless and skinless)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 15 ounces canned chili beans , drained and rinsed
- 15 ounces canned black beans , drained and rinsed
- 15 ounces canned kernel corn , drained
- 15 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 4 ounces diced green chiles , 4 ounces
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning mix , 1 packet
- 3 tablespoons ranch seasoning mix , 1 packet
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 taco shells , crushed (optional)
- Add the canola oil to a large dutch oven on medium heat and add the chicken and onions, cooking until the chicken is cooked through and the onions are translucent, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the garlic, green chiles, chili beans, black beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn, taco seasoning and ranch seasoning mixing well.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil before reducing to a simmer for 25 minutes.
- Garnish with crushed taco shells if desired.