Instant Pot Hamburger Soup is a hearty, comforting, kid-friendly weeknight meal made with ground beef, veggies, tomato sauce, and Italian seasoning.
It’s hard to think of a more comforting Dinner Recipe than a piping hot bowl of soup. This dish is inspired by the flavors of a hamburger, but all baked into a brothy, tomato soup. We’ve had the recipe for Classic Hamburger Soup on the blog for a while. After a little bit of recipe testing, we’ve come up with this instant pot version. It’s just as delicious but made even quicker!
INSTANT POT HAMBURGER SOUP
This recipe is definitely one you’ll find yourself cooking for dinner over and over again. The Instant Pot Ground Beef Soup is filling, flavorful, and unbelievably easy. It’s perfect for when you’re in a hurry because this recipe is ready in no time. The cook time is just 7 minutes, and with the prep and release time added it still only takes a half-hour to make this pressure cooker soup.
To finish your dinner serve the Hamburger Soup recipe with crusty bread like French Bread Rolls or Garlic Bread. You can use the bread to dip in the soup and soak up every bit of delicious flavor. For more sides, lean into the hamburger theme, and serve it with your favorite burger sides like French Fries, Onion Rings, or Coleslaw.
This is a great soup recipe to make for dinner because it has the ingredients you need for a filling and healthy meal. The ground beef makes the dish filling and adds protein. There are also plenty of veggies cooked in. The vegetables are super easy to add by just using a bag of frozen mixed vegetables. You get peas, corn, carrots, and green beans. Because the frozen veggies are all cooked into the recipe they absorb the flavors of the broth and are easy even for picky eaters to enjoy.
MORE SOUP RECIPES
TIPS FOR MAKING HAMBURGER SOUP IN THE INSTANT POT
- Sear: To start the recipe, set your 6 quart pressure cooker to its saute setting and add oil to the base. Once the oil is heated and covers the entire base of the pot, you can add the ground beef in. Season it with onion, salt, and pepper. Use a wooden spoon and break the meat apart while it browns on all sides.
- Liquid ingredients: With the pressure cooker still on saute mode add in the tomato sauce, beef broth, diced tomatoes, and Italian seasoning. Stir the soup together.
- Cooking: Close the instant pot and set the valve to sealed. Put the recipe on high pressure for a 7 minute cooking time.
- Pressure release: After cooking, let the pressure release for 15 minutes naturally. After your 15-minute timer goes off, let out the remaining steam manually.
- Veggies: Open the pot, and add the frozen vegetables to simmer. Once the frozen veggies are warmed through, turn off the instant pot and ladle up bowls of Hamburger Soup.
VARIATIONS ON INSTANT POT HAMBURGER SOUP
- Pasta: If you’re serving a bigger group and want to add some more filling ingredients try adding in some macaroni pasta. You can either cook the macaroni separately and then add it, or put the pasta in the instant pot and do another couple of minutes of high-pressure cooking before adding the veggies.
- Potatoes: Another way to make the recipe slightly more filling is adding in potatoes. Chopped russet potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes, or even sweet potatoes would taste great in this Instant Pot Ground Beef Soup.
- Cheese: Make this a Cheeseburger soup recipe by adding on some shredded cheese to melt on top. Shredded cheddar, pepper jack, swiss, provolone, or mozzarella would all taste great.
- Flavor add-ins: For some extra taste in the recipe try adding garlic powder, minced garlic, oregano, bay leaf, basil leaves, or fresh parsley leaves. You could also mix in some sauces with the broth like Worcestershire sauce, or mustard.
- Meat: Instead of ground beef, you can try other kinds of ground meat like ground turkey or chicken. Ground turkey will make the dish more like a turkey burger.
- Vegetables: For some more veggies mix in chopped celery, cabbage, spinach, or cauliflower.
MORE GROUND BEEF RECIPES
HOW TO STORE INSTANT POT HAMBURGER SOUP
- Serve: After pressure cooking, don’t leave Instant Pot Ground Beef Soup at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Once the recipe has cooled, you can store it in the fridge. Covered or sealed it will stay good for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: You can also freeze Hamburger Soup. Seal it in a freezer-safe container so that no moisture or air gets in. It will be good in the freezer for 3 months.
Instant Pot Hamburger Soup
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Prep Time: 8 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Course: Soup
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground beef , (85/15)
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 cups beef broth
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes , do not drain
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 16 ounces frozen mixed vegetables , (peas, corn, carrots, green beans)
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Set your instant pot to sauté mode and add vegetable oil until hot and oil spreads around the pot easily.
- Add in the ground beef, onion, salt, and pepper. Brown the meat on all sides breaking it apart as you go.
- After searing the meat, add tomato sauce, beef broth, diced tomatoes, and Italian seasoning to the instant pot.
- Stir the soup together.
Seal the instant pot and cook on high pressure for 7 minutes.
Let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes, then manually release the rest.
- Add the frozen carrots, peas, corn, and green beans. Let simmer for another few minutes so the vegetables can heat through, then serve.
Yield: 8 Servings, Amount per serving: 205 calories, Calories: 205g, Carbohydrates: 13g, Protein: 15g, Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 39mg, Sodium: 1246mg, Potassium: 571mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 3073g, Vitamin C: 14g, Calcium: 63g, Iron: 3g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.