Easy Cole Slaw, also known as Coleslaw, in just 5 minutes with the perfect homemade dressing, this is the ultimate side dish for summer because it gets even better the next day. Perfect for cookouts and planning ahead.
Easy Cole Slaw (Coleslaw) Recipe
Cole Slaw is the quintessential side dish for the summer. We love it so much we already have two versions on the site! Both are copycats, one is KFC Coleslaw (Copycat) and the second is my personal favorite unique cole slaw, Tony Roma’s Coleslaw with celery seeds.
What to serve with ColeSlaw:
Like this recipe? Then Like us on Facebook!
Why buy pre-shredded cole slaw mix? For us the time involved in chopping plus the leftovers of the cabbage make it an easy swap. In addition to that, for some reason we find buying the vegetables whole costs almost twice as much as buying the pre-shredded bag. For us in the summer we love to keep things easy. This recipe shouldn’t take you more than a few minutes to put together the morning of your bbq.
Important Note about Cole Slaw: YES, this recipe takes about five minutes, but one of the most important things about Cole Slaw is letting it sit, so that the dressing can soften the crunch of the cabbage. We give it at least 2 hours. Even better if you can do it the night before.
This Cole Slaw recipe is your classic cole slaw. Think going to the grocery store, about to spend four dollars a pound on cole slaw, cole slaw. Instead of spending so much, you can make it at home and with ingredients you can control.
I’ve actually spoken to heads of deli departments who have told me that cole slaw comes in either pre-made or in two parts, mix and dressing. This is a way to have fresh cole slaw without the added preservatives you’ll find in packaged cole slaw dressings.
So why post a third cole slaw recipe on the same site? Well, it’s the CLASSIC summer side dish and I love options. So choose your favorite version.
Easy ColeSlaw Recipes:
- KFC Cole Slaw: Made with milk, buttermilk, lemon juice chopped cabbage, onion and carrots, this is the perfect KFC copycat. It has a bit of a bite from the onions.
- Tony Roma’s Cole Slaw: This recipe is the perfect higher end recipe with celery seeds and a bit less creamy texture. If you’re serving up a summer dinner menu, you can go a bit fancier with this version.
- Easy Cole Slaw: This recipe, this is the standard classic version made to take the place of buying pre-made.
Easy Cole Slaw Recipe (Coleslaw)
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Course: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina
- 14 ounce coleslaw mix with red cabbage and carrots*
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Add the mayonnaise, sugar, lemon juice, white vinegar, salt and pepper to a large mixing bowl and whisk together until fully combined.
Add in the coleslaw mix and stir well to combine.
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
* If you want to uses your own mix for the coleslaw, I use 8 cups shredded cabbage, 1 cup shredded red cabbage, and 4 julienned carrots.
Yield: 8 Servings, Amount per serving: 120 calories, Serving Size: 1 , Calories: 120g, Carbohydrates: 6g, Fat: 10g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 5mg, Sodium: 170mg, Potassium: 84mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 1.2g, Vitamin C: 23.3g, Calcium: 2g, Iron: 1.5g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert, Inc.