Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip is made with cream cheese, ranch, buffalo sauce and cheddar cheese. Perfect for potlucks!
Easy Potluck Recipes are an important part of any recipe box. And everyone will love when you show up with Spicy Louisiana Shrimp Dip, Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese, or the classic Buffalo Chicken Dip!
This yummy Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe is among the most popular recipes on the site for a reason. It is a fan favorite because it is easy to make, boasts great flavors, and there’s no messy Buffalo Wing fingers to tackle when handling the remote during the big game. The list of reasons goes on and on!
For the recipe itself, this Buffalo Chicken dip is a mixture of chicken breast meat, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, buffalo wing sauce and ranch dressing that is baked together for about two hours to recreate the flavors of buffalo wings being dipped in ranch dressing. You’ll want to chop the chicken before adding it to the cooker for ease. Alternatively, cook whole, then shred the chicken in the pot when it’s finished cooking.
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip is the PERFECT dish to serve as an appetizer at a party, and is the best go-to when you need to bring something to a potluck. Have a leftover rotisserie chicken? Make this recipe, because this dip is also the perfect way to use up leftovers!
How to Make Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip
The process for making this yummy dip is almost too easy! It’s a matter of prepping the ingredients and putting it all together in the pot! Check it out!
- Prep Ingredients: The first step is to make sure all the ingredients are ready to go. Thaw the chicken if frozen, shred the cheddar, and portion out the sauces.
- Cook: Once everything is ready, you can place and pour it all into the slow cooker. Be sure to mix it all together really well before you cover with the lid. Enjoy when ready!
- Serve: Keep the slow cooker on a warm setting while you’re serving the buffalo chicken dip, otherwise the cheese gets harder as it cools and your guests won’t be able to scoop as easily.
More Buffalo Chicken Recipes
Frequently Asked Questions
Mix all ingredients together, reserving some cheese for later. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Pour into a greased baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese or hot sauce and bake for total time of 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown on top. If the top doesn’t turn golden brown, turn the broiler on for 2-3 minutes. Watch closely to make sure it doesn’t burn.
2/3 cup hot sauce
½ cup unsalted butter
1 ½ tablespoons white vinegar
¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1. In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in hot sauce, vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce.
2. Simmer 2-3 minutes.
3. Pour directly into crock pot for buffalo chicken dip.
You can prep this slow cooker buffalo chicken by adding all ingredients to a crock pot insert, sealing tightly, and refrigerating for up to 2-3 days. When you’re ready to cook, simply place the insert into the slow cooker, top with remaining cheese, close the lid, and turn on. Top with chopped scallions or green onions just before serving for presentation.
For an even easier cleanup use a liner for the slow cooker and this is a five minute recipe and a two minute cleanup!
Despite what some might think because of the name, there are no ingredients from the Buffalo, also known as the American Bison! The name is taken from Buffalo, New York, the city the sauce was invented in!
Create a free account to Save Recipes
Key Ingredients in Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip
This all-American recipe contains staple ingredients found in just about every home in the USA. If you don’t have the ranch or buffalo sauce already, you can easily find it in the closest grocery store. As a side note, a small crock pot is ideal for buffalo chicken dip, and more portable, too.
- Chicken: We are using boneless, skinless chicken breast for this recipe. You can use any cut of chicken, just make sure it’s boneless. Leftover chicken or even canned chicken works good in this recipe.
- Ranch Dressing: The creamy and garlicky goodness of ranch is unsurpassed and adds a ton of flavor to this dish. If you don’t have ranch dressing, use 1 cup sour cream and a ranch seasoning packet.
- Buffalo Sauce: This is a prominent flavor all across North America, especially during parties and game day get-togethers. The secret ingredient is surprisingly Worcestershire sauce! See above in the FAQ section if you want to make it yourself using your preferred hot sauce, or just buy it from the store.
- Cheese: Shredded cheddar and cream cheese bring this all together into a creamy and delectable dip. Bringing your cream cheese to room temperature first will make it easier to stir everything together. If you didn’t take it out in time, microwave the cream cheese on a plate for 30 seconds, or until warmed through.
Variations on Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Make it low-fat: You can lighten up this recipe by subbing the cream cheese with Neufchâtel cheese, using reduced-fat ranch dressing, and lean skinless cuts of chicken. You can also add a dash of garlic powder for more flavor.
- Blue Cheese: You can sub half or all of the cheddar cheese in this buffalo chicken dip recipe with crumbled bleu cheese if that’s your preference. Blue cheese adds that tangy flavor that is usually served with buffalo chicken wings. However, we recommend using half blue cheese and half another type, to keep that desirable stretchy cheese going in your dip. You can use the cheddar, mozzarella, Gruyere, or American cheese. Shredding your cheese from a block works best, but pre-shredded will work in a pinch.
- Spicy Dip: You can mike mild or hot buffalo wing sauce if you make it at home. Or, you can add even more spice by adding diced jalapeños or a can of diced green chilies to the dip. Or add some extra cayenne to make it extra spicy!
- Serving Ideas: Scoop this onto a toasted bun for buffalo chicken dip sandwiches, or serve with crackers or tortilla chips. You can also serve this with veggies like carrots, celery, or cucumbers. It’s the perfect appetizer recipe!
More Appetizer Recipes
How to Store Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Serve: Kept warm in the crock pot, Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken dip will last up to 3-4 hours. Do not leave at room temperature longer than 1-2 hours.
- Store: Store crockpot buffalo chicken dip in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. You might notice some of the oil come to the top when it’s in the refrigerator. Just reheat and stir the buffalo chicken together before serving. There is also no harm at all in blotting this oil off with a paper towel. There is no shortage of fat in the recipe so any amount you blot off will not cause any noticeable difference in taste.
- Freeze: Stored in an airtight container, crock pot buffalo chicken dip will keep in the freezer for 2-3 months. You can reheat buffalo chicken dip by defrosting in the refrigerator overnight, then putting back into the slow cooker until it’s warmed through.
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast , cooked and chopped
- 16 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 1 cup ranch dressing
- 3/4 cup buffalo wing sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Place all ingredients in slow cooker except ½ cup of the shredded cheese and stir until well combined.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over top. Cook on low for 2-3 hours, or until everything is melted together.
- Keep on warm setting when serving. Serve with chips, celery sticks, or carrots.
Photo used in a previous version of this post.
I make this all the time but not in a crock pot. Everyone always loves it!!
What size would you recommend? I was thinking a 4.5 quart size would work.
3-4.5 would be great!
Does the chicken break up on its own while it’s cooking or do you need to make sure to break it all apart? It doesn’t say in the directions.
You’ll want to chop the chicken up as mentioned in the recipe card. I hope you enjoy the dip!
Hi! I just came across your blog when I was looking for a sloppy joe recipe & I’ve been drooling over your site ever since – everything looks amazing! So, I LOVE buffalo chicken dip, and thought I’d offer up a suggestion in case any of your readers are like me and prefer blue cheese to ranch (it’s a personal choice lol). Obviously, switch up the salad dressing & toss in some crumbled blue cheese, but my secret ingredient – if you can find it – crumble in some smoked blue cheese. If you have a wine store with a cheese department, whole foods or some supermarkets that have a larger cheese selection, they usually have it. A little goes a long way, and it takes the dip to the next level of yumminess. Anyway, LOVE your blog & can’t wait to try out some of your recipes – making my shopping list now!
Thanks for your tip!
Made this for Christmas. It was the hit of the party. Everybody raved. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
You’re welcome, Ali!
One of my favorite easy appetizer recipes! Always a huge hit!
I’m so glad you love it, Jamielyn!
Buffalo chicken is a huge deal in our house. My son is obsessed so I know he will love this dip!
So easy and sooooo good, such a great dip idea!
Ok, seriously? I cannot imagine anything I’d rather eat. Buffalo chicken made into a dip cooked in the slow cooker? Perfection.
It’s seriously so good!
This is our favorite game day dip recipe!
So glad you enjoy it!