Easy Homemade Ranch Dressing is the ultimate ranch dip and dressing recipe made with mayonnaise, sour cream, chives, dill weed, and other pantry seasonings.
HOMEMADE RANCH DRESSING
Whether it’s pizza in ranch, fries with ranch, or veggies with ranch, this creamy, tangy dressing is the dip that everyone loves! Making Homemade Ranch Dressing is super simple and you don’t need any extra fancy ingredients for a quick batch in minutes. The longer you let it sit, the more ranch flavor your dressing will have, but it’s also delicious as soon as it’s made.
You don’t have to just serve this Homemade Ranch Dressing as a dip, you can use it for salads or sandwich spreads too. This mayonnaise and sour cream homemade ranch recipe is thicker than a bottled ranch salad dressing, but you can add a splash of milk or buttermilk until it’s the desired consistency for drizzling. The base ingredients give you a perfectly balanced ranch flavor, but feel free to adjust to how zesty or mild you like your dressing.
This made from scratch Ranch Dressing is a blend of pantry spices like garlic powder, onion powder, and dried parsley. The key ingredient in Ranch Dressing to give it that signature ranch flavor is dill weed. This Homemade Ranch Dressing recipe uses dried dill to make it extra easy to make whenever you are craving it. You can always swap in fresh dill for bolder dill flavor. That includes all the ingredients, swap in fresh garlic cloves for dried garlic or any other fresh seasoning you prefer.
You can store the spices for your Homemade Ranch Dressing recipe separately and then mix it with mayonnaise and sour cream when you are ready to serve the ranch dressing. You could also double or triple the spice blend and then substitute 2 tablespoons dry ranch dressing spices for a store-bought ranch dressing mix. Ranch dressing mix can kept fresh in the pantry for up to a year or in the freezer indefinitely as long as it’s in a moisture-free container!
TASTY CHICKEN RECIPES TO DIP IN RANCH DRESSING
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON HOMEMADE RANCH DRESSING
- Buttermilk: Replace half the mayonnaise with ½ cup buttermilk for a Buttermilk Ranch Dressing. Add a tablespoon dried buttermilk to the spice blend if you are making the dressing mix ahead of time and store in the refrigerator or the freezer.
- Flavors: Add different mix-ins to make flavored Ranch Dressing, like spicy chipotle ranch, avocado ranch, cilantro ranch, or garlic-onion ranch. Use fresh garlic and minced fresh onion for Garlic-Onion Ranch Dressing. Puree ½ cup avocado for Avocado Ranch or fresh cilantro for Cilantro Ranch. Blend 1 chipotle in adobo with the mayonnaise before adding rest of the ingredients for Spicy Chipotle Ranch.
- Lemon: For a more tangy, flavorful Ranch Dressing add a tablespoon lemon juice, lemon zest, white vinegar, or apple cider vinegar.
- Fresh Herbs: Fresh herbs like fresh dill, fresh parsley, and fresh chives will make this dressing even more flavorful. Use about 2-3 times fresh herbs for each dried herb measurement, and allow the dressing to chill for at least 4 hours so the flavors have time to develop.
- Yogurt: For a healthier Homemade Ranch Dressing, you can replace the sour cream and half the mayonnaise with 1 cup plain yogurt, either Greek yogurt or regular yogurt.
MORE DELICIOUS DIPPING SAUCES
HOW TO STORE HOMEMADE RANCH DRESSING
- Serve: Once mixed, Homemade Ranch Dressing is best served chilled and can be kept at room temperature up to 2 hours.
- Store: Refrigerate Homemade Ranch Dressing for up to 2 weeks in a sealed, airtight container like a mason jar. Store it in the back of the refrigerator to keep it extra cold.
- Freeze: You don’t want to freeze Homemade Ranch Dressing once it’s been mixed because mayonnaise does not defrost well. You can freeze the dried seasoning blend in a container that’s sealed against moisture.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chives
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl whisk all the ingredients together.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.