Slow Cooker Chicken Breasts with Gravy is the ultimate comfort food. Easy crockpot recipe for tender chicken and savory gravy.
Hearty, comfort food like Slow Cooker Creamy Lemon Chicken and Smothered Pork Chops are the kind of Dinner Recipes that never go out of style. This southern classic is sure to warm your belly and heart.
SLOW COOKER CHICKEN AND GRAVY
This easy slow cooker meal is sure to be one of your new go-to recipes that your whole family will love. Fork tender chicken and thick flavorful gravy served with mashed potatoes is the ultimate comfort food. It’s a holiday dinner that you can make easily all year round.
This yummy Crockpot Chicken and Gravy comes together in just minutes and cooks long and slow. Throw everything into the slow cooker first thing in the morning and the only thing you’ll have to worry about are sides.
For sides, serve an easy veggie like Green Beans. Spoon your chicken and gravy over Mashed Potatoes, White Rice or even a thick piece of Texas Toast. A batch of fresh French Rolls would taste delicious (and soak up any extra gravy).
If you’ve been a longtime reader, or are have seen some of our other Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes, you know we usually don’t suggest putting boneless, skinless chicken breasts into a crockpot. Many previous posts have cautioned to stick to bone-in chicken thighs.
The nice thing about saucy recipes like this Crockpot Chicken and Gravy is that you can use your boneless skinless breasts and expect tender chicken every time. The creamy soup keeps your meat from drying out and makes it easy to shred.
For this Crockpot Chicken and Gravy, you can use a homemade Cream of Chicken Soup recipe. If you want to use a canned version, substitute one 10.5 ounce can of condensed cream of chicken soup. You can easily make chicken gravy mix from scratch with the quick recipe down below.
MORE EASY SLOW COOKER CHICKEN DINNERS
HOW TO MAKE SLOW COOKER CHICKEN AND GRAVY
- Mix the gravy ingredients: Just a few ingredients, mixing them ahead in a bowl or in the insert is just a few seconds of effort.
- Add chicken in whole: This will keep as much moisture as you can given the meat is so low in fat. Cutting in into chunks ahead of time will make the end result drier.
- Shred minimally: When shredding or cutting you don’t have to shred the chicken too small or it’ll be like a filling versus a meal.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON CROCKPOT CHICKEN AND GRAVY
- Meat: This simple dinner is great for whatever boneless, skinless meat you have on hand. You can easily substitute pork chops, turkey breasts, or chicken thighs for the chicken breasts.
- Mushroom: Cream of Mushroom Soup is a tasty substitute for the chicken soup. For more of that earthy flavor, add diced brown mushrooms during the last 2 hours of cooking.
- Broth: Give your gravy more chicken flavor and use chicken broth instead of water. You can also use beef broth to make more of a brown gravy.
- Veggies: The last hour of cooking, stir in your favorite frozen veggies like peas and carrots to make this dish heartier and well rounded.
- Gravy Mix: Instead of chicken gravy packets, use 4 tablespoons of the Chicken Gravy Mix below to make it completely homemade.
Homemade Chicken Gravy Mix:
- 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons poultry seasoning
- Blend bouillon and seasonings in a food processor until fine. Sift into flour until well combined. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months.
INSTANT POT CHICKEN AND GRAVY
- Place chicken and water into Instant Pot.
- Cover with gravy mix, seasonings, and chicken soup. Do not stir.
- Cover and set valve on sealing. Set for 15 minutes on manual high pressure.
- Let pressure release naturally for 5-10 minutes, then turn valve to venting.
- You may need to add a cornstarch slurry to thicken gravy since Instant Pots tend to release more liquid.
EASY SIDE DISH RECIPES TO SERVE WITH SLOW COOKER CHICKEN AND GRAVY
HOW TO STORE CROCKPOT CHICKEN AND GRAVY
- Serve: This will stay good in the slow cooker on warm for up 4 hours. If at room temperature, store after no more than 2 hours.
- Store: Transfer Chicken and Gravy to an airtight container and store for up to 4 days in the fridge.
- Freeze: Freeze this dish for up to 3 months. Cool completely and seal tightly. Allow to thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 packets chicken gravy mix
- 1 1/4 cup Condensed Chicken Soup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 3 whole chicken breasts , boneless skinless (about a pound)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Season chicken breasts with garlic powder, black pepper and salt.
- In slow cooker, whisk together the water, gravy packets, condensed chicken soup, garlic powder, salt, paprika and pepper until smooth
- Add the chicken breasts to the slow cooker and flip on both sides to coat well.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- When done, carefully remove chicken, shred or cut as desired.
- Whisk the sour cream into the slow cooker until smooth and serve over chicken.
Photos used in a previous version of this post.