Ultimate Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Ultimate Slow Cooker Pot Roast that leaves you with tender meat, vegetables and a built in gravy to enjoy them all with in just 15 minutes of prep! Perfect weeknight dinner!
Ultimate Slow Cooker Pot Roast is a perfect weeknight meal you can make with little effort the morning of and you can even prep the night before. This pot roast recipe is a pared down version of a recipe I used to use and adapted to give to client’s who’s children were going off on their own.
They wanted easy recipes they could make that would remind them of the meals I had made for them. This dish delivers on that promise offering a warm, hearty, healthy meal with little cooking knowledge needed and even without searing the meat you’ll have a delicious meal!The great thing about this Ultimate Slow Cooker Pot Roast is that the whole meal really is made in one place. We like to serve it with a side salad to add a fresh flavor to the meal but for wintery weather and busy weeknights this is pretty much the gold standard for us for delicious food!
You can add in other herbs and vegetables as you would like. We love playing with adding different root vegetables like turnips and parsnips, sometimes we add onion or sweet potatoes. In the fall we love different squash too. This dish can be adjusted to your favorite veggies with no problems!
Looking for more slow cooker recipes? They’re a favorite around here, here are just a few of them:
- Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken
- Slow Cooker Cuban Mojo Pork
- Slow Cooker Garlic Parmesan Chicken and Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Korean Short Ribs
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
- and there are many more slow cooker meals on the site…
Some quick tips about this Ultimate Slow Cooker Pot Roast:
- Browning the beef in a pan before adding it to the slow cooker is a step I would not skip if even remotely possible. That crust is delicious and you don’t want to miss it.
- Seasoning – Yes it looks like a lot of salt, but you also have to remember you have 3 pounds of vegetables under the meat you are seasoning too.
- The cornstarch finisher – To thicken the liquid you’ll need some cornstarch. I usually add this in the last hour of cooking but a quick saucepan heat-up of the liquids with cornstarch will take care of it for you in just a couple of minutes too. It is just one more dish to wash, haha.
- Yukon Potatoes – I love the buttery texture of a yukon gold, you can alternately use russet potatoes here without any problems too.
- If you have fresh thyme by all means use it, I just like how easy this recipe is and pantry friendly so I normally use dried thyme unless I already have fresh on hand.
Tools Used in the Making of this Ultimate Slow Cooker Pot Roast:
Slow Cooker: Love this slow cooker and how programmable it is, it has been a workhorse for me… until…
My New Slow Cooker: This recipe was made in this slow cooker. I browned the chicken in the cast aluminum insert before cooking the chicken on low, so I didn’t have a second pan to clean. For larger roasts I also brown the meat in the insert and not lose a bunch of the flavor by transferring the meat and leaving the browned bits behind. If you’re thinking of a new slow cooker, consider it if your budget is open.S
Better Than Bouillon: I use this for most recipes where I call for broth (I have it in Chicken, Vegetable, Beef and Mushroom (I love this one for adding umami flavor to things). Its so easy to just add a spoonful to some water and it is just beef broth that has had the water cooked out of it.
Ultimate Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- 4-5 pound chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound carrots peeled and cut into 2" chunks
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- minced parsley optional, to garnish
Season the chuck roast with the Kosher salt, pepper and thyme (if you are sensitive to sodium, adjust to your taste or you can even leave the salt out altogether since you're adding broth and soup).
Heat you pan (or if you can brown in your slow cooker, do it in that insert to medium high.
Add the canola oil and when it ripples and is hot add in the roast and brown, deeply, for 4-5 minutes on each side.
In your slow cooker add the carrots, potatoes and garlic.
Lay the beef on top, then add the beef broth and cover, cooking on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 5-6 hours.
In the last hour mix your cornstarch and water and add it to the slow cooker to thicken the sauce or you can take the food out when done cooking, and add the leftover liquid to a small saucepan with the cornstarch/water mixture and cook on high for just 2-3 minutes until the liquid is thickened into a gravy.
Pour the gravy over the meat and garnish with parsley if desired.
Dinner, then Dessert, Inc. owns the copyright on all images and text and does not allow for its original recipes and pictures to be reproduced anywhere other than at this site unless authorization is given. If you enjoyed the recipe and would like to publish it on your own site, please re-write it in your own words, and link back to my site and recipe page. Read my disclosure and copyright policy. This post may contain affiliate links.