Armenian Apple Chunk cake is full of diced apples and cinnamon and only requires one bowl, one whisk and no temperamental ingredients. It will be on your table tempting you in less than an hour.
Full of diced apples and cinnamon, this Armenian Apple Chunk cake is so incredibly simple to make you’ll find yourself making it ALL the time! One bowl, one whisk and no temperamental ingredients it will be on your table tempting you in less than an hour.
This cake also happens to be my favorite cake of all time. I know what you are thinking, favorite of ALL-TIME? That must be the most amazing, rich, over the top cake every. Nope. It is the authentically rustic and amazing Armenian Apple Chunk Cake my grandmother used to make for me.
I can still picture her now, the way she used to dice the apples while holding them in her hand (so unsafe, please don’t do that) and how I used to wait with anticipation for when the cake would come out of the oven. The whole house would smell like the most amazing flavors of the Fall and within a day the whole cake would be gone. I wish this post there could be smello-vision because if you could smell the apples and cinnamon or even just feel the texture and crumb of the cake you’d be sold in a heartbeat.
You’ve seen me post crumb cakes and coffee cakes on the blog before but this recipe is the grand daddy of all my breakfast cakes. This is the one I make when I want to invite people into my world and my heart. This cake is my childhood just even looking above at the picture is making me smile ear to ear thinking of my grandmother. This recipe is like sharing a piece of my heart with you guys.
Armenian Apple Chunk Cake #FoodieMamas
- Yield: 12 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: Armenian
- Author: Dinner, then Dessert
- 3 Gala apples (not peeled), diced into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup walnuts , chopped (optional, I don't add them)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the cinnamon and sugar together in a bowl.
- As you are dicing the apples, toss them in the bowl with the cinnamon and sugar to coat them and prevent browning.
- Add the flour and baking soda to the apples and toss.
- Mix the oil, eggs and vanilla together and add to the apples (I do this in one large measuring cup after adding the oil so I don't dirty and additional bowl).
- If you want to add in the walnuts you can do so here and give it one final mix.
Yield: 12 servings, Amount per serving: 322 calories, Calories: 322g, Carbohydrates: 40g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 16g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 27mg, Sodium: 102mg, Potassium: 124mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 21g, Vitamin A: 65g, Vitamin C: 2.2g, Calcium: 23g, Iron: 1.5g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.