These Cinnamon Sugar Crispy Tortilla hearts are a great activity to do together for Mother’s Day [or Valentine’s Day!] with your young children. If you are looking for a sweet treat for the holiday, these can be made in less that 20 minutes and are addicting!
When I was in seventh grade Green Day’s Dookie album had taken over the airwaves and I was in my first and only Home Economics class. The first recipe we learned in the class were these sugary crispy tortilla hearts. These are a great dessert or sweet treat and a perfect finish to our Sesame Scallion Tortilla Tacos.
First, take a tortilla and cut hearts out of it with a pair of kitchen shears. If your young one is helping, they can use safety scissors too. Tortillas are pretty easy to cut through.
Mix 1 cup of sugar and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon together in a shallow bowl.
Dredge them in the cinnamon sugar mixture and allow to cool.
Cinnamon Sugar Crispy Tortilla Hearts - Toddler Kitchen Activity for Mother's Day
- Yield: 4
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Dinner, then Dessert
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Take a tortilla and cut hearts out of it with a pair of kitchen shears.
- If your young one is helping, they can use safety scissors too. Tortillas are pretty easy to cut through.
- Mix 1 cup of sugar and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon together in a shallow bowl.
- Fry the tortilla hearts in canola oil.
In about 30 seconds you will see them start to turn brown and they will become crisp.
- Take them out of the pan with a slotted spatula and drain on paper towels.
- Dredge them in the cinnamon sugar mixture and allow to cool.
Yield: 4 , Amount per serving: 288 calories, Calories: 288g, Carbohydrates: 66g, Protein: 2g, Fat: 2g, Sodium: 206mg, Potassium: 45mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 51g, Calcium: 5.1g, Iron: 6.4g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.