A quick and easy egg bake casserole with all the flavors and textures of a egg, bacon and cheese bagel sandwich. You can even make it ahead, the night before and just bake it off in the morning. I make this for make ahead breakfast meals, brunches and to snack on during the day like monkey bread bites.
As a kid growing up in LA, I used to love going to Western Bagel. They had the best bagels that were chewy but with a crispy crust. In high school as part of the student council, I loved bringing them to our monthly morning meetings. Bagels have been my favorite go to breakfast food for as long as I can remember.
Even now if I am eating one that isn’t filled with bacon and eggs, it is topped with cream cheese, sliced red onion, sliced tomato and salt. Just like my mom used to make. I even make my husband eat them like that too, because what could be better?! I will say though, I met my better half (and by better half I mean the coolest friend ever) who would eat them with tomatoes, cucumber and pepper. I used to joke that we were each others yin and yang even down to the bagels. Now I just need to convince her not to keep living in Chicago!
Sorry, I sometimes go off on tangents. We were discussing bagels! In college, I used to go visit New York on a regular basis because we had the inexpensive buses that would run from DC to NY. Every visit, as soon as we arrived, I would stop and get a bagel filled with eggs, cheese and bacon. This egg bake is my take on that amazing NY breakfast staple! (Psst, don’t think I didn’t ALSO get a bagel with onion, tomato and salt!).
Cook bacon on high heat, you want the color on the outside, the rest will bake through in the oven. Remove from pan, let cool and slice into chunks. Drain/wipe fat from pan if you would like to use butter to cook the eggs. If you want to cook them in bacon fat instead, drain all but about a tablespoon and heat the pan on medium high. Break 6 eggs into a bowl, add them to the pan and poke the yolks.
Whisk the rest of the eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Add toasted bagel chunks, eggs, bacon and cheese in layers to your pan.
Bake for 45-50 minutes.
Egg Bacon & Cheese Bagel Bake
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Course: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Dinner, then Dessert
- 12 eggs , divided
- 1 tablespoon of butter (optional)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 oz bacon (since I was a kid, I use and LOVE Farmer John)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (I put a half a pound in chunks in my food processor and it gave me perfect little bits)
- 8 large bagels
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Cook bacon on high heat, you want the color on the outside, the rest will bake through in the oven.
- Remove from pan, let cool and slice into chunks.
- Drain/wipe fat from pan if you would like to use butter to cook the eggs. If you want to cook them in bacon fat instead, drain all but about a tablespoon and heat the pan on medium high.
- Break 6 eggs into a bowl, add them to the pan and poke the yolks.
- Stir a bit just to spread the yolks around a bit.
- Cook until just set and remove from pan.
- Spray either your cast iron skillet or 8x8 inch pan with cooking spray.
Cut the bagels into chunks and toast at 375 degrees until slightly browned and crispy, about 7-9 minutes.
- Whisk the rest of the eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Add toasted bagel chunks, eggs, bacon and cheese in layers to your pan.
- Pour the egg mixture over it evenly.
Bake for 45-50 minutes.
Yield: 8 servings, Amount per serving: 783 calories, Calories: 783g, Carbohydrates: 60g, Protein: 35g, Fat: 43g, Saturated Fat: 17g, Cholesterol: 322mg, Sodium: 1679mg, Potassium: 417mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 805g, Calcium: 331g, Iron: 3g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.