Your favorite Spinach and Artichoke Dip in a pasta bake with a Parmesan Buttery Cracker crust! Made with Mozzarella, Parmesan, cream cheese and sour cream with fresh spinach and artichoke hearts.
Spinach and Artichoke dip, otherwise known as the one surefire way to get get 99% of people in the world to knowingly eat spinach or artichoke. In this case it is part of a pasta bake that will make an easy dinner. Even as a kid, spinach was part of a number of meals my mom would make (none of which I was terribly excited to eat) so spinach always had this texture of being slimy. For this dish the spinach goes in raw and bakes down into the dish. The parmesan Ritz crust adds another layer of texture and cheesiness so your kids will almost forget all the healthy greens inside.
If your kids show an aversion to the spinach in its leafy form, I suggest chopping the lettuce before adding it to the pasta. One evening my oldest was complaining about the spinach going into the pot so I added it to a food processor with the artichoke hearts and added it in with the sauce. We served “SpoooOOooOoky Green Cheesy Pasta” since it turned the cheese sauce a bright green. While it was still totally delicious, I prefer this recipe with the spinach recognizable and it also taught me that this recipe might be the kid you don’t invite your kids to help you with. The less they see the artichokes or spinach the less green sauce in your life. 😉
Also wanted to take a minute to ask how you guys are enjoying the recipes now that I have cut out a large number of the pictures from the process of cooking. Would love it if you would sound off below in the comments and let me know if you want me to go back to including more shots of the recipe being made.
- 8 ounces fresh spinach , washed and dried
- 1 tablespoon salt , for the pasta water
- 1 pound bowtie pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot , chopped
- 3 cloves garlic , chopped
- 6 ounces artichoke hearts , chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 11/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese , divided
- 4 ounces cream cheese , at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup Ritz cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Add the salt and pasta and cook to one minute shy of what is on the box.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet on medium-high heat and add the shallots and garlic.
- Cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a large pot over medium to medium-high heat, add the butter and melt completely.
- Whisk in the flour for 1 minute or so, then whisk in the milk, wine, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes then add in the sour cream, cream cheese, 1 cup Parmesan cheese and mozarella cheese.
- Mix well, add the artichokes and raw spinach back in.
- Stir until spinach starts to wilt.
- Add pasta in and pour into large baking pan, 13x9 inches.
- Mix the ½ cup Parmesan with the cracker crumbs.
- Top the pasta with the Parmesan cracker crumbs and bake for 25-30 minutes