Crispy Roasted Cabbage Steaks make a great side dish for any meal (not just your favorite Corned Beef) in just 20 minutes. You’ll never boil cabbage again.
Crispy Roasted Cabbage Steaks may actually rival my Crispy Slow Cooker Corned Beef for my favorite part of the meal. Everything you love about roasted Brussels Sprouts are made even easier here with cabbage. No need to trim a whole bag of Brussels Sprouts when you just need to make a few cuts to a head of cabbage. Plus the presentation value of the cabbage steaks is great.
For plating I usually either serve it as an intact steak, cut in half in a half circle (use a good spatula to lift intact) or using a fork to twirl it into a pasta-like pile of delicious-ness.
Cabbage gets such a bad rap as far as vegetables go. Not a lot of people see it on menus and say “oooh let’s order a side of cabbage with our short ribs” but if you were to try this side dish, I promise…you’ll be a convert. In fact the first couple of times you make it you can even get away with taking one for the team and eating all those extra browned outside pieces… here’s a secret… They are the best part! They’re super crispy and delicious, and sometimes if I have a few extra minutes I let more of them crisp up.
Ok fine, truth? Sometimes I snack on the outside rings and put the tray back in for a few more minutes to get more of them browned. And no one is ever the wiser. ?
Great meals to enjoy these Crispy Roasted Cabbage Steaks with:
- Crispy Slow Cooker Corned Beef (You had to know that was coming)
- Cast Iron Grilled Ribeye Steak
- Crisp and Juicy Slow Cooker Chicken
- Crispy Cracklin’ Pork Shoulder
- Grilled Chicken/Pork Chops
- Tony Roma’s BBQ Chicken
Other sides you can enjoy along side your Crispy Roasted Cabbage Steaks:
Pretty much anywhere you would otherwise enjoy Brussels Sprouts, feel confident in making this substitute. I’ve even gone ahead and added this cabbage to pasta dishes. It works great in place of napa cabbage in Asian noodle dishes too. The flavors are great, the texture is still soft in the middle and in steak form the cabbage stays in long noodle form so it is perfect for pasta.
Now for a delicious Corned Beef and Crispy Roasted Cabbage Steaks plate of food.
- 1 head cabbage, dark loose leaves removed
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice the cabbage into ½ inch thick steaks
- Brush with oil on both sides and place onto cookie sheet.
- Season to taste with Kosher salt and black pepper (I used 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, ½ teaspoon pepper).
- Roast for 17-20 minutes or until caramelized.
- (Psst, save the super crispy dark edges for yourself, they're the best part!!)