Panda Express Sweet and Sour Sauce is the perfect classic Chinese takeout dipping sauce that is bright red in color, sweet and acidic.
Panda Express Sweet and Sour Sauce is a quick recipe you’ll want to keep on hand for your favorite Chinese appetizers or even for a quick awesome appetizer on its own (block of cream cheese, sweet and sour sauce and wonton strip for dipping…you’ll thank me later).
Today’s recipe is just a quick one, I’m still enjoying the mini vacation from my amazing Mother’s Day weekend. But even though this recipe is such a short and quick one it is still totally versatile!
- The appetizer recipe above makes for a fun option. I sometimes will fry wonton wrappers I’ve cut in half into triangles so they’re a bit bigger and able to scoop more of the cream cheese (which needs to be softened before serving).
- Add a bit of soy sauce (2 tablespoons) and sesame oil (2 teaspoons) and use in a stir fry.
- Use for Sweet and Sour Chicken or Pork.
- Make it spicy with a bit of Chili Sauce.
Keeping track of all the Panda Express copycat recipes here on the blog?
- Panda Express Orange Chicken
- Panda Express Mushroom Chicken
- Panda Express Firecracker Chicken Breast
- Panda Express Chow Mein
- Panda Express Fried Rice
- Panda Express Black Pepper Chicken
- Panda Express Kung Pao Chicken
- Panda Express Beijing Beef
- Panda Express Mandarin Teriyaki Chicken
- Panda Express Sweet and Sour Sauce (you’re here!)
- Panda Express String Bean Chicken Breast
- Panda Express Honey Walnut Shrimp
- Panda Express Cream Cheese Rangoon
- Panda Express Beef and Broccoli
- Panda Express Sweetfire Chicken Breast
- 1 1/4 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- red food coloring (optional, but for authentic color I had to add a few drops)
Add 1 cup water, white vinegar and sugar to a saucepan and bring to a boil.
Add the cornstarch to the remaining 1/4 cup of water in a small bowl and whisk until the cornstarch is dissolved.
Add the cornstarch slurry to the saucepan and whisk it all together.
Reduce to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 5-7 minutes.