Cheesecake Factory Chicken Madeira with chicken breasts, mushrooms and asparagus in a buttery wine sauce is a copycat of the most popular chicken dish.
Cheesecake Factory Chicken Madeira is the more classic representation of my favorite pasta dish at the Cheesecake Factory, Pasta Da Vinci. I’ve made that recipe enough times that we’ve gotten to be huge fans of chicken with madeira wine sauce. Plus the mushrooms and the cheese, this is the more grown up version of Pasta da Vinci.
Plus it is the most popular chicken item on the Cheesecake Factory menu, which I learned as I got a bunch of requests from you guys for this recipe. I bet you wouldn’t have guessed the short list of ingredients.
What can I use instead of Madeira wine?
This recipe calls for Madeira wine which can be difficult to find/expensive. Some substitutes are a dry port wine, Marsala, or a dry sherry wine. As a last resort I’d use stock with additional base mixed in.
How to lighten this Chicken Madeira recipe:
- Use half the butter, I was liberal with it for the purposes of the copycat.
- Use half the Mozzarella cheese or use the Trader Joe’s shredded lite Mozzarella (I LOVE this product).
- Double the asparagus in your serving and double the mushrooms. Adding vegetable bulk to your plate is an easy swap.
- Skip the mashed potatoes you normally get with this recipe at the restaurant and serve with some steamed/roasted potatoes and cauliflower.
Looking for more Cheesecake Factory recipes?
- Cheesecake Factory Pasta Da Vinci (Copycat)
- Cheesecake Factory Luau Salad (Copycat)
- Cheesecake Factory Louisiana Chicken Pasta (Copycat)
- Cheesecake Factory Spicy Cashew Chicken (Copycat)
- Cheesecake Factory Corn Cakes (Copycat)
- Cheesecake Factory Spicy Chicken Chipotle Pasta (Copycat)
- Cheesecake Factory Cajun Jambalaya Pasta (Copycat)
Tools used in the making of this Cheesecake Factory Madeira Chicken:
Skillet with Lid: I used my All-Clad pan for this recipe but I also own this exact pan which I use for clients and it is great quality at 1/4th the price. I cook for us with All-Clad pans I hope to pass down to my kids (I’m sappy, I know).
Vegetable Steamer: I steam vegetables in this when I am not using the microwave for a smaller amount. Also available for much less and works well too.
Madeira Wine: Some substitutes are a dry port wine, Marsala, or a dry sherry wine. As a last resort I’d use stock with additional base mixed in.
Better Than Bouillon: I almost never buy boxes of broth because I keep the beef, chicken and vegetable version of this Better Than Bouillon.
Cheesecake Factory Chicken Madeira (Copycat)
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Course: Main Course
- Cuisine: Spanish
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts trimmed (5 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 2 cups white mushrooms sliced thinly
- 2 cups madeira wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 pound asparagus trimmed
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese shaved for garnish
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Put the chicken between two pieces of saran wrap and lightly flatten using a rolling pin or heavy pot or flat mallet (don't use a spiked side).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat two tablespoons of butter in your skillet (that has a lid) on medium-high heat.
Cook the chicken on medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side, until slightly browned and just cooked through.
- Remove the chicken, add in 2 more tablespoons of butter and add the mushrooms.
Cook on medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes before stirring, cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the mushrooms and put with the chicken on another plate.
- Add in the Madeira wine and beef broth.
Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10-12 minutes.
While sauce is reducing boil your asparagus for 3-5 minutes in another pot or microwave on a plate in a single layer with a wet paper towel on top for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken back into the pan, top with mushrooms and asparagus.
Cook an additional 1-2 minutes, cover the chicken with Mozzarella cheese and mushrooms.
Cover the pan and let cook for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Yield: 4 Servings, Amount per serving: 443 calories, Serving Size: 1 , Calories: 443g, Carbohydrates: 7g, Protein: 34g, Fat: 21g, Saturated Fat: 11g, Cholesterol: 124mg, Sodium: 1155mg, Potassium: 856mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 20.1g, Vitamin C: 6.7g, Calcium: 18.4g, Iron: 14g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.