Cranberry Upside-Down Cake is a tasty Christmas cake made with fresh cranberries, toasty walnuts and a sweet caramel topping.
If you like Pineapple Upside-Down Cake and want a festive holiday version, you will love this Cranberry Upside-Down Cake, a deliciously simple holiday recipe. Check out all the Cake Recipes on the site, there’s all your favorites and more!
CRANBERRY UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE
When you hear “upside-down cake,” the first thing that comes to mind is probably pineapple. While pineapple upside-down cake is absolutely delicious, there’s another upside-down cake that is just as yummy and a perfect holiday treat.
Cranberry Upside-Down Coffee Cake is one of those cake recipes that will be an instant hit at any family gathering this year. Whether you’re hosting or going as a guest, this gorgeous pastry will be a dessert that can double as a beautiful centerpiece.
Instead of maraschino cherries you get the beautiful red color from the fresh cranberries and instead of pineapple rings I’ve added walnuts to add a crunchy texture to the brown butter caramel that soaks into the delicious cake.
Enjoy some leftover Cranberry Upside-Down Cake with a cup of coffee the morning after your party to jumpstart you back into the holiday spirit. The natural tartness of the fresh cranberries, the sweetness of the caramel topping and a jolt of caffeine are just what you need to tackle the busyness of the Christmas season after a long night.
MORE HOLIDAY DESSERT RECIPES
HOW TO MAKE CRANBERRY UPSIDE-DOWN COFFEE CAKE
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON CRANBERRY UPSIDE-DOWN COFFEE CAKE
- Nuts: Try swapping out the walnuts for toasted almond slivers or pecans for a change of texture and flavor.
- White Chocolate: Taking some inspiration from a coffee shop classic holiday muffin, add White Chocolate Chips to make a White Chocolate Chip Cranberry Upside-Down Coffee Cake.
- Buttermilk: Give this cake a rich, tangy flavor that will pair nicely with the sweetness by substituting buttermilk for the sour cream.
- Mini Coffee Cakes: Make these into cupcake sized treats perfect for giving as gifts by dividing into a greased muffin tin. You will want to reduce the baking time to 25-30 minutes.
- Serve with: Serve slices of Cranberry Upside-Down Cake with a scoop of Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream or with a dab of Homemade Whipped Cream on top.
CRANBERRY UPSIDE-DOWN COFFEE CAKE FAQS
Can you make Cranberry Upside-Down Cake in cast iron skillet? Yes, you can. You will need to keep a close eye on the cake so it doesn’t burn, since cast iron will get hotter than you’d expect.
Can you make Cranberry Upside-Down Cake gluten free? Yes, you can. Substitute almond or buckwheat flour for all purpose flour.
MORE EASY HOLIDAY DESSERT RECIPES
HOW LONG IS CRANBERRY UPSIDE-DOWN COFFEE CAKE GOOD?
- Serve: You can keep Cranberry Upside-Down Coffee Cake in an airtight container for up to 2 days at room temperature.
- Store: You can keep your cake in the fridge for up to 3 days, as long as you keep it tightly covered or sealed in an airtight container that will keep moisture out.
- Freeze: You can keep Cranberry Upside-Down Coffee Cake for up to 1 month in the freezer. Once again, make sure to keep it tightly sealed.
- 3/4 cup brown sugar , packed
- 1 cup unsalted butter , softened (divided)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts , chopped
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a springform pan with baking spray.
- Wrap the outside of the pan with aluminum foil to prevent leaking.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt into a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl add the brown sugar and ½ cup unsalted butter and microwave for 45 seconds until melted, then stir well and microwave for another 20 seconds.
- Add the melted butter and brown sugar mixture to the springform pan and spread, then add in the cranberries and walnuts evenly.
- Add the remaining ½ cup butter and sugar to your stand mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the eggs, vanilla and sour cream until fully combined, then add in the flour mixture until just mixed in (do not overmix the flour).
- Carefully, slowly pour the batter over the cranberry walnut mixture.
- Bake for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then turn a plate/cake stand upside down over the springform pan and carefully and quickly flip over before removing the cake from the pan.
Since cranberries are not in season in June, can I substitute the canned?
I would thaw frozen cranberries for this recipe.
I’m not sure if it’s because I’m lacking sleep, but I re-read the recipes over and over and didn’t seem to see which step called for the 1 cup of sour cream. I poured it in the main cake batter, like I normally do with some of my cakes. Is this correct?
Thanks for catching that. Yes, you did it right. I just edited the recipe card to read correctly now.
Yum! Love this holiday spin on an upside down cake
What a beautiful cake for upcoming holiday parties! Delicious too!!
Thanks, Beth. I’m so glad you enjoyed it.
Have never tried Cranberry Upside down, so this is very special. I make pineapple too many times. Would love to go for it soon.
It’s a fun twist!
I love upside down cakes, and the cranberry is awesome.
They’re such a great dessert option and always a hit! Thanks for the 5 stars.
This looks like such delicious cake! I’d be hard pushed to stop at just one slice!
It’s a struggle, haha! Thanks for the 5 stars.
This looks delicious! I would love to try it but I don’t see what size springform pan to use? Thanks.
I used a 9″ glass bottom springform pan (this one specifically).