Creamed Onions And Peas made with peas, pearl onions, cream, and seasoning is the PERFECT side dish that’s ready in under 20 minutes!
Creamed Peas and Onions
Creamed Onions and Peas is a creamy, savory side dish that has just a touch of sweetness coming from the pearl onions. It’s the perfect side dish to serve with steak or chicken, and take less than 20 minutes total to make. Because they’re so quick and easy, I love to make these on weekdays.
can i substitute regular onions for pearl onions?
Pearl onions tend to be sweeter than their full sized counterparts. If you don’t have any available though, you can substitute a regular chopped white or sweet onion. You can add some sweetness back to the larger onions by caramelizing them in a pan with some butter for 2-3 minutes first.
HOW DO YOU MAKE CREAMED onions and PEAS WITH CORN STARCH?
If you want a thicker sauce, you can use corn starch. Corn starch has to be added cold, then gradually heated to thicken properly.
are pearl onions and cocktail onions the same thing?
Pearl onions are found in the produce section or frozen isle, and are raw. Cocktail onions are pearl onions that have been pickled, and usually come in a jar. You can use the pickled version in martinis, or on salads.
Pearl onions are sweeter than full sized onions, so they work great in creamy or savory dishes like creamed onions and peas. If you use raw pearl onions, you should peel them before cooking. You can watch a video about how to easily peel a pearl onion here.
MORE RECIPES with PEAS
- Classic Buttered Carrots and Peas
- Shrimp Scampi Pasta with Parmesan And Peas
- 5 Ingredient Crispy Chicken, Garlic, & Peas in Wine Sauce
- Slow Cooker Turkey with Gravy, Candied Sweet Potatoes & Green Peas
Create a free account to Save Recipes
tips for making creamed onions and peas
- You can kick this recipe up a notch by adding some cooked chopped bacon on top when serving. The salty bacon goes perfectly with the creamy sauce! You can also add small pieces of ham, if you have some to use up.
- If you’re not a big onion fan, you can swap out the onions for your favorite type of mushrooms in this recipe.
- Easily peel fresh pearl onions by boiling them in water until they’re just soft, then putting them right into an ice bath. The skins should be easy to remove at this point.
- You can lighten this recipe up by using light cream or half and half instead of heavy cream, for less calories and fat.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 20 ounces frozen pearl onions
- 20 ounces frozen peas
- Fill a pot with water and bring it to a boil on medium high before adding in the pearl onions and cooking for 10 minutes.
- Drain the water and the onions before adding in the butter, garlic, salt and pepper and letting it melt and become aromatic, about 1 minute, while stirring.
- Add in the onions and frozen peas and heavy cream, stirring to combine until the cream starts to thicken and the peas are warmed through, about 2-3 minutes.