Flourless Mocha Cake with Creme Anglaise is the best coffee and cream dessert that will leave your guests thinking it came from a bakery.
You’ll love this fancy Chocolate Dessert so much, you might be inspired to try other popular favorites like Molten Chocolate Cake, Rich Chocolate Cupcakes, and Chocolate Cookies next.
Flourless Mocha Cake with Creme Anglaise sounds like a dessert you’d order at the end of a special meal out, but with just a few high quality ingredients, you’ll be serving a gorgeous plated dessert worthy of a five star restaurant in just 30 minutes of active prep time and just over an hour in the oven.
This Flourless Mocha Cake recipe is based off our go-to Flourless Chocolate Cake recipe with the addition of good quality Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract and Pure Coffee Extract. Just a teaspoon of each really bring out the flavor in a rich, natural way.
Flourless Mocha Cake is made even better with the addition of the Creme Anglaise. Just a few ingredients and 20 minutes on the stovetop while your cake is baking, the dish will be ready to serve in just a couple of hours. A traditional Creme Anglaise uses a vanilla bean, but in this case we used Pure Vanilla Bean Paste. Once you use it in this recipe you’ll want to try using it on everything!
This recipe also makes a terrific dessert for anyone who is on a gluten free diet! There are several flourless and naturally gluten free desserts on the site, such as Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies, Flourless Chocolate Chewy Cookies, and Butter Toffee.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
Frequently Asked Questions
So much of the flavor from the vanilla bean is in the seeds. A small amount of the vanilla bean paste can go a long way and because of the thickness of the paste it won’t thin out your recipes. Use vanilla bean paste anywhere you’d use vanilla extract in the exact same amount. It can be used in mixers for drinks, in place of extract for frosting (you’ll end up with a beautiful speckled frosting without thinning it out), or with roasted duck or sweet potatoes for a more savory recipe.
Fresh berries are a terrific choice with chocolate cake, as pictured in this recipe. You can also garnish with candied orange peel, fresh mint sprigs, or a dusting of cocoa or cinnamon.
The steam in the oven helps keep the cake moist, and the water bath will ensure that your cake bakes evenly without drying out along the edges. It is a similar method to setting the filling in a cheesecake, which is also made without flour.
How to Store Flourless Mocha Cake with Creme Anglaise
- Serve: Serve Flourless Mocha Cake with Creme Anglaise after it’s cooled but still warm. Do not leave the Creme Anglaise at room temperature longer than 2 hours.
- Store: Store Flourless Mocha Cake without topping, covered tightly at room temperature up to 2 days, or refrigerated up to 5 days. Make sure to store the Creme Anglaise separately in an airtight container in the refrigerator, up to 5 days.
- Freeze: It is not recommended to freeze the Creme Anglaise, but the Flourless Cake can be frozen, wrapped tightly, up to 1 month. Defrost at room temperature and make a fresh batch of Creme Anglaise for serving.
Flourless Mocha Cake:
- 12 ounces dark chocolate , semisweet, milk or bittersweet can be used too (whichever you prefer)
- 1 teaspoon coffee extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 sticks butter , cut into pieces
- 5 large eggs , room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 cups light cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 5 large egg yolks
To make the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add 1 inch of hot water to a pan with at least two inch sides that is larger than your springform pan (I use a 10-inch springform pan).
- Add the chocolate and butter to a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for 30 seconds, in three intervals (wait a minute or so before each one) but don’t mix.
- Let sit for one minute, then stir the butter and chocolate until smooth.
- In a larger second bowl, mix the eggs and sugar with a whisk.
- Make sure the chocolate is not too hot or wait another minute or two.
- Whisk in the chocolate into the egg mixture slowly until fully combined.
- Sit your springform pan on top of a sheet of foil and press it up against the sides so there is a barrier between the pan and the water.
- Add the batter, cover the top with foil and put it in your pan with water.
- Bake in a water bath for 75 minutes.
- Remove from oven and from water bath.
- Uncover and let cool completely.
To Make the Creme Anglaise:
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until combined.
- In a medium saucepan heat the light cream and and the vanilla bean paste until it is at a light simmer, just before boiling.
- Turn the heat off the saucepan and ladle a ¼ cup of the cream mixture into the egg and sugar mixture, whisking quickly.
- Working ¼ cup at a time keep whisking it in until you do that about 4 times, then slowly add in the rest while whisking.
- You want to whisk quickly to avoid the eggs curdling.
- Put the mixture back into the saucepan and heat slowly on medium-low until just below boiling (170-175 degrees).
- Using a spoon, check for thickness by running your finger along the back. If the coating on the back of the spoon leaves a distinct line where your finger was, you're good to go.
- To ensure the smoothest creme anglaise, pass it through a strainer.
- Serve the cake with fresh berries and creme anglaise poured over.
Photo used in a previous version of this post.
Can this flourless cake be served with whipped cream lmstead of creme anglaise?
Is the picture of a 10″ cake or are they individual servings? Looks delicious.
Haven’t tried it yet, but I live in the UK, and wondered how much stick of butter is? Alex
This cake looks delicious. The vanilla paste is the bomb. I have always used it for many desserts and the flavor is superb!
Wowza ! This looks so amazing Sabrina ! Perfect recipe for our anniversary dinner !
I’ve actually made this for an anniversary dinner for a client! You’re right! It’s a perfect dessert for that setting!
These look so delicious. Can they just appear on my desk right here?! 🙂
You don’t have the newest teleporter? Plugs right into your USB port! 😉
I love NM extracts and use them in my baking too! This cake looks way too pretty to bite into!
It would be a shame not to taste it – it’s so delicious!
This looks stunning! I love the addition of creme anglaise for adding subtle elegance to the dish.
It really is a perfect complement!
That is flour-less? You are pulling my leg, right? This looks incredible. I am going to bookmark to try this weekend!
It’s true! And delicious! I hope you enjoy it!
Flourless chocolate cake is one of my all time favorite desserts! Love this rendition!
Omg! i am drooling! What a fantastic recipe. We use Nielsen-Massey Pure Coffee Extract n lots of our recipes, it really makes a difference n taste.
Yes! I am totally obsessed with it! It has replaced espresso powder for me totally.
This looks lovely and a perfect dose of chocolate, pinning and sharing!
Aww thanks Sara!
I am always looking for dessert recipes to try. I will have to get the ingredients i need to try this recipe.
I hope you love it!
This looks so delicious and easy to make. I will have to try this recipe this week for dessert.
Thanks Ann, hope you enjoy it!
Flourless cakes are quickly becoming a favorite of mine these days and this one looks so beautiful and elegant! I need to get some of that Madagascar bourbon vanilla extract. It sounds sooo tasty!
Aww, thank you Marlynn!
Nielsen Massey is the best. I mean the best. Their products are like nectar from the gods. There is simply no comparison. The mocha cake isn’t going to be a favorite for me but I’m sure others will love it.
I totally agree about their products, I was so honored when they asked me to create a recipe for them! I’ve used their products for years!
My God, that is gorgeous!!
I also think Nielsen Massey’s vanilla bean paste is so amazing – I’d drizzle it over some waffles, too!
Thanks Katerina! And heck yes, it would be amazing on waffles!
Does this cake ever look delicious. I am loving the berries and cream on top. I wonder if I can get the vanilla bean paste here in Canada.
I would check their site, they are sold through some pretty large channels online too!
Yummy! This looks so good! What a great warmer weather treat. I love that you put the berries on it!
Such an elegant desert
Thanks Becky 🙂
This looks amazing! And I heart Nielsen-Massey they make the best extracts!
Well doesn’t this looked divine! Pretty sure the best cakes I’ve had are flourless!
Agreed! They’re so rich!
This looks so decadent! I’m crazy about flourless chocolate cakes and I need to try yours with the addition of coffee, it sounds wonderful!
Oh yes! It is a totally rich dessert!
You have me drooling over here! This is the perfect treat for Mother’s Day!
Yes! I would be pretty happy if my hubby saw this, took the hint and made them for me for Mother’s Day, haha.
Oh my gosh this looks heavenly!! We have cut alot of flour out of our diet so this would be a great treat to make!
Thanks so much Vera!
I have been daydreaming about your four less cake, but haven’t had a chance to make it yet with the busy week we’ve had. I am now thinking I should start with this first. I’m going to be in chocolate heaven.
I couldn’t agree more, I still have a slice I’m hiding for myself, haha.
This looks so good. Flourless chocolate cake is one of my favorites to order when we go out.
Thanks Pam! I usually order something super complicated so I don’t have to make those for myself. 🙂
That Vanilla Extract looks amazing, oh my goodness… and flourless mocha cake? YES, please! It looks amazing. I will have to look into those items. YUMMY
Thanks Shauna! They are amazing products, you’ll love them.
We’ve started doing these since we discovered my wife and son both have Celiac’s Disease. They are delicious and really not as hard as they look at first.
To be fair if you don’t know the recipe they can seem intimidating. I feel the same way about lava cakes. When I first saw the recipe for a lava cake I didn’t believe how easy it was!
Hi Sabrina.. your flourless mocha cake absolutely awesome.!
Aww thanks so much!
I need this in my life immediately! It looks so gooey and moist. It’s chocolate Heaven. Yummo!
Haha, yes heaven!
This sounds positively decadent and I can’t wait to try it out for my daughter’s birthday!
I hope it is a huge hit!
This cake looks so rich and perfect to pair with those berries! I love Neilsen-Massey products and I bet they work wonderfully in this cake!
Thanks Julia! I love their products too!
This looks so insanely good, and that is my favorite vanilla extract!
That looks so yum! I just want to lick all that frosting off 🙂
That looks SO sinful and delightful! I am going to totally crave this until I can get the chance to make it.
Give in now!
What a lovely chocolate cake and it’s so nice that it is flourless. I have so many friends nowadays that need to eat GF. There is one special friend and I think I’ll make this for her birthday coming up!
Wonderful I hope it makes for a great birthday celebration!