Apple Crisp Crumb Cake is the perfect mix of the classic New York Crumb Cake with large chunks of buttery crumb topping and the ultimate apple crisp.
We love all things Apple Crisp and this cake is the perfect mixture of coffee cake and perfect apple crisp topping.
Apple Crisp Crumb Cake marries the traditional New York Crumb Cake with all the fall flavors of an apple crisp. Topped with Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce you won’t even mind Monday morning’s with a slice of this cake and a giant cup of coffee.
Coffee cakes and baked breakfast items are one of the only times I’ll actually eat breakfast. Normally my giant cup of coffee is the only thing I want in the morning (and by giant I mean GIANT. My cup hold 3 large Keurig brews). I’m also a more savory than sweet person, so desserts aren’t usually something I look for. But crumb cake and apple crisp are my favorite of each of these meals.
Looking for more breakfast cakes?
- Honey Bun Cake (No Cake Mix!)
- Classic Gingerbread Cake
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- Triple Berry Sour Cream Crumb Cake
Tips for making the perfect crumb cake:
- The temperature of your crumb mixture is essential. If not chilled the butter will be too soft and the crumb will melt into more of a shell. Keep it cold just until it is crumbled on top of the batter.
- This is a tall cake, cooking lower for a longer period of time is better to ensure it is baked through. The apples will also help keep it moist.
- If you find the top is browning too much tent it with some foil.
- Crumb cakes tend to dry out quickly if left uncovered. Make sure you cover the cake when storing.
Tools used in the making of this Apple Crisp Crumb Cake:
Springform Pan: I could’ve also done this in a 9×13 pan but with the caramel drizzle your guests will love it in beautiful slices.
Caramel Sauce: If you don’t want to make it yourself this is my go-to for pre-made.
Cake Stand with Cover: I keep cakes moist in this stand, and its beautiful. The dome is also tall, so layered cakes fit nicely.
APPLE CRISP CRUMB TOPPING:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), melted and still warm
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour (7 ounces)
- 1 fuji apple diced
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 cup regular oats
APPLE CRISP CRUMB TOPPING:
- Add sugar, dark brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and butter into a bowl.
- Whisk together and add in cake flour until combined. Form into a dough ball.
- In a second bowl add the apple, cinnamon, oats and stir.
- Let them sit until you are done making the cake.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Use baking spray or butter and flour a cheesecake or cake pan.
- In a stand mixer, add flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- On low speed, add butter in pieces.
- Mix for 1-2 minutes, or until you no longer see the butter and the mixture looks like a crumble.
- Add in your remaining cake ingredients, egg, egg yolk, vanilla, buttermilk, apple, cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Mix until light and fluffy, another 1-2 minutes.
- Pour and spread cake batter into greased baking pan.
- Take the topping dough and break apart into chunks about the size of marbles over the dough in a uniform pattern.
- Spoon over the apple topping over the crumbles.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a knife is inserted and comes out clean.