Chicken Caprese Tortellini Pasta Salad is the perfect and quick pasta salad for your summer cookout with chicken, fresh mozzarella, tortellini and quick balsamic dressing.
Chicken Caprese Tortellini Pasta Salad is a dish you’d find in the deli section of your favorite fancy grocery store (or lets be honest, on Ina’s cooking shows where she heads to her favorite Hampton’s food boutique) but it is actually totally easy to make. I’ve even included a few ingredient swaps for you to use if you’re pressed for time.
Chicken Caprese Tortellini Pasta Salad ingredient swaps:
- I included my basic balsamic vinaigrette recipe but you can of course use bottled.
- I call for cooking chicken, but you can use rotisserie or canned. The directions for cooking the chicken will ensure the delicious crispy crust on the chicken.
- If you don’t have fresh basil, you can use 2 tablespoons of dried basil.
- If you don’t want to use tortellini, you can easily swap for rotini or bowtie pasta as well.
- The balsamic glaze is a great finishing item and adds a lot of flavor to the dish but in a pinch you can skip it or make your own balsamic glaze if you can’t source one in your grocery store.
How to make Balsamic Glaze:
- Add 2 cups balsamic vinegar and 1/2 cup brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir with a wooden spoon or whisk until sugar has dissolved then bring to a boil.
- Cook on low until the mixture is reduced to half the amount, about 15-20 minutes.
- To check if it is done, dip a spoon into the pan, then run your finger over the spoon, you should leave a clean swipe in the spoon.
- Let cool before using, then drizzle onto the pasta salad with a spoon.
Looking for more pasta salad recipes?
- Italian Antipasto Pasta Salad
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad
- Easy Greek Pasta Salad
- Mexican Avocado BLT Pasta Salad
- 10 Minute Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad
Items Used in this Chicken Caprese Tortellini Pasta Salad:
Balsamic Glaze: This is my favorite brand, it has just the right sweetness to it.
Balsamic Vinegar: High quality for the best price I’ve found, I keep two backup bottles in my cupboard.
Tortellini: An easy pasta that adds bulk and you don’t need to keep fresh cheese on hand to add flavor! Or if you’re buying fresh, this is my favorite fresh variety.
Caprese Chicken Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Yield: 12 Servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Course: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Italian
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 12 ounces cheese tortellini
- 1/4 cup fresh basil finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 16 ounces grape tomatoes cut in half
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella ciliegine balls
- 1/4 cup balsamic glaze
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 3/4 cup olive oil
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Make the dressing by adding all the ingredients to the jar and shake to combine.
- Cook the tortellini as instructed on the packaging and let cool.
- In a large skillet heat the canola oil on medium high heat.
- Butterfly the chicken open and season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, do not move at all before the single flip to allow for a good crust to form.
- Remove from pan, let cool and chop.
- In a large bowl add the cooled tortellini, chicken, salt, pepper, basil, oregano and grape tomatoes.
- Top with the balsamic dressing.
- Toss together.
- Add the mozzarella to the bowl and drizzle with balsamic glaze.
- Serve at room temperature.
Yield: 12 Servings, Amount per serving: 338 calories, Calories: 338g, Carbohydrates: 18g, Protein: 17g, Fat: 22g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 50mg, Sodium: 483mg, Potassium: 249mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 480g, Vitamin C: 5.7g, Calcium: 145g, Iron: 1.2g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.