Easy Chicken Casserole is creamy and savory with chicken, onion, and bell peppers in a seasoned sauce with crackers and cheese, in 45 minutes!
EASY CHICKEN CASSEROLE
Easy Chicken Casserole is the PERFECT throw-together weeknight dinner recipe. You can make it ahead and freeze it, or put it together that night. This dish is quick, easy, and kid friendly, taking a total time of 45 minutes to make!
This chicken casserole is a great recipe for meal prepping. You can make a double batch, and freeze it in catering dishes, so you can throw it straight into the oven to bake when you need it. This is a great potluck recipe, or for when you have company coming over.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN CASSEROLE IN THE SLOW COOKER
- In a large skillet, brown chicken breasts with butter on all sides.
- Add everything to the slow cooker (except for the topping) and stir together.
- Close the lid and set on high for a total time of 4 hours, or on low for 8 hours.
- When time is up, remove the chicken and shred with two forks. Return to slow cooker and stir.
- Add topping, and leaving the slow cooker on high crack the lid open slightly for 30 minutes. This mimics what happens when you bake the casserole, and makes the topping nice and crispy.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
MORE CHICKEN RECIPES
- Broccoli Casserole
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Leftover Turkey Casserole
- Creamy Chicken Poblano Pepper Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Soup
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Try using mushrooms, asparagus, green beans, carrots, frozen mixed veggies, or broccoli to mix up the veggies in this dish.
Add 1 extra cup of shredded cheddar cheese in with the chicken mixture to make a cheesy chicken casserole.
You can also use a cooked rotisserie chicken, just remove the skin and bones and shred the chicken, then add it to the sauce.
You can substitute Ritz crackers for potato chips or regular breadcrumbs in this chicken casserole recipe.
The chicken breasts are cooked through when they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Serve this chicken casserole over rice or pasta to add a starch to the dish.
You can use chicken thighs for this recipe instead of chicken breast if you prefer.
Yes, add a cup of instant long-grain rice to this chicken casserole recipe.
Make this chicken casserole spicy with diced green chiles, poblano or jalapeño peppers, or a dash of cayenne pepper.
Garnish this dish with chopped green onions, or fresh parsley. Or top with cheddar or parmesan cheese.
Make a Tex-Mex chicken casserole by adding black beans, pepper jack cheese, or salsa. Or, you can make a creamier sauce by melting in one package of cream cheese.
Make this dish with other meat, like beef, lamb, or turkey. Any of these would bake up fine in this casserole.
HOW TO STORE EASY CHICKEN CASSEROLE
- Serve: You shouldn’t leave cooked meat at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Let the Chicken Casserole cool down, then seal it in an airtight container to store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freeze: This casserole can be frozen before or after baking, depending on your preference for 4-5 months. Make sure it is sealed in an airtight container to prevent freezer burn. Defrost in the refrigerator the day before serving.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter , divided
- 4 chicken breasts , boneless skinless
- 1/2 yellow onion , chopped
- 1 red bell pepper , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 10.75 ounces condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 28 Ritz crackers , crumbled
- 1 cup cheddar cheese , shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to a large skillet on medium heat and cook the chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side before removing the chicken to a plate and chopping roughly.
- Add two more tablespoons of the butter with the onion, bell pepper, garlic and black pepper on medium heat and cook for 4-5 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add in the cream of chicken, sour cream and milk and mix well then pour the mixture into your baking dish.
- Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter and mix with the ritz crackers and cheddar cheese and sprinkle it over the chicken then bake for 30-35 minutes.
Photo used in a previous version of this post.