Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Soup with brown rice and chicken breasts, this soup is comforting and warm with no extra added fat and with the use of lemon extract it can be made from pantry ingredients any time of year.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Soup can be made in just minutes and in addition to the amazing soup you’ll get to enjoy for dinner you’ll come home to a kitchen that smells like your mom has been cooking for you all day. This post has been graciously sponsored by Nielsen-Massey Vanillas who sent me a delightful box of extracts and vanillas just like last year when I made this Flourless Mocha Cake with Creme Anglaise. I’ve been a fan of theirs and a loyal customer for almost a decade so to work with them a second year in a row is pretty exciting.
One of my favorite things about this soup is that there isn’t any added fats. With white meat and brown rice this soup is as healthy as you could want while still being filling. The brown rice is soft and fluffy and because you’re not using white rice it helps keep you fuller longer.
With the addition of Nielsen-Massey Pure Lemon extract instead of running out to the store for lemons you can make this soup any time of the year with just a few ingredients you likely already have in the fridge. The lemon extract, like their other extracts and vanilla add tons of flavor without additional calories, salt or fat. Plus, the kitchen smells absolutely delightful with the addition of the lemon!
You can of course make changes to this Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Soup for your tastes:
- Use skinless chicken thighs (bone in if you can) for a silkier, heartier flavor from the fat in the chicken and the marrow from the bones.
- Change the herbs, we are not fans of rosemary, but chicken and rosemary are a great combination, so if you have favorite flavors you can of course change it up. We love tarragon and lemon together so this was a perfect combination for us.
- You can add butter to the slow cooker to add to the richness of the soup if you’re using white meat.
- You can mix in greek yogurt when you’ve served up a bowl to make this a creamy soup (this is my favorite).
- Instead of rice you can add pasta in the last hour of cooking (I like rotini or egg noodles)
- If you use Better than Bouillon you can double the strength of it for the soup so you get a strong chicken flavor even though you’re using boneless white meat chicken
Looking for more recipes like this Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Soup?
- Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup <– This one has over 1 million views and 400,000 pins on Pinterest!
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup
- Slow Cooker Ham and White Bean Soup
- Slow Cooker Creamy Minestrone Soup
- Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Soup
Tools used in the making of the Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Soup:
Slow Cooker: Love this slow cooker and how programmable it is, it has been a workhorse for me… until…
My New Slow Cooker: This recipe was made in this slow cooker. For larger roasts I also brown the meat in the insert and not lose a bunch of the flavor by transferring the meat and leaving the browned bits behind. If you’re thinking of a new slow cooker, consider it if your budget is open.
Better Than Bouillon: I almost never buy boxes of broth because I keep the beef, chicken and vegetable version of this Better Than Bouillon.
Spice Rack – I buy spices in bulk from local grocers and from Penzey’s. It’s less expensive and significantly higher quality than buying the jars individually but I ended up being left with tons of little bags of spices. Enter the spice rack.
Lemon Extract – From my favorite source for extracts, I love their vanilla extract, powders and paste too!
- 3 chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 1 tsp Nielsen-Massey Pure Lemon extract
- 1 cup brown rice uncooked
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 5 carrots chopped
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 cups chicken broth
- parsley for garnish (optional)
- Put all the ingredients into the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours.
- If your slow cooker is on the hotter side for most recipes, cook for 3 hours to avoid mushy rice or add the rice after an hour of cooking.
- With a fork and knife shred/cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and put back in the soup.
- Garnish with parsley.
- See in the post for additional serving options or flavor ideas.
This post was generously sponsored by Nielsen-Massey. All opinions are my own.