Cookie Dough Brownies are best part of cookies and brownies all in one!
Cookie Dough Brownies are a way to enjoy your brownies frosted with just about the best frosting I can think of… eggless raw cookie dough. Plus with the cookie dough on top your brownies have a room temperature frosting that won’t get too soft to cut.
Cookie Dough Brownies seem like a natural progression for my dessert section given the recipes I’ve had in the past including these Easy Dark Chocolate Chunk Brownies, the Cookie Dough Stuffed Salted Dark Chocolate Cupcakes and my recipe for Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough that we keep in our freezer for all occasions. But wait there’s more… How about my Monster Cookie Dough Cupcakes? Or when we took cookie dough on a trip to S’moresville with the S’mores Cookie Dough and Graham Cracker Cupcakes stuff with S’mores Cookie Dough? Yep, we’re a cookie dough loving bunch around here. We even stuff it into Ice Cream Sandwiches!
These Cookie Dough Brownies are really pretty easy to make. You could definitely make it without a stand mixer for your base but I recommend using some kind of mixer, even a handheld one, for the cookie dough layer. The butter and sugar will originally start as one color but as you whisk them more and more you will see that color lighten up. That is when you’re ready to move on to adding the rest of the ingredients. I have done the cookie dough topping with just a whisk, but I did end up with a pretty tired arm, you’ll want to give it at least three minutes of hand whisking before the color really lightens.
Tools used in this Cookie Dough Brownies recipe:
9×13 Baking Pan – The straight edges and even cooking of this pan is ideal for bars and brownies.
Stand Mixer – The classic stand mixer, it’s always a huge help to get things mixed a heck of a lot faster. Plus, that blue! <3
Hand Mixer – For smaller jobs you don’t want to pull the large mixture out for this hand mixer is a breeze
Dark Chocolate Chips – My favorite dark chocolate chips, I keep them on hand in volume! More and more stores carry the brand now too, so when mine has a sale I buy 3 or 4 bags of every flavor. (Sometimes I can even get them for LESS than Nestle)
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – This cocoa powder gives an amazing, dark, rich chocolate flavor. I also highly recommend the Trader Joe’s Brand of cocoa powder.
Cookie Dough Brownies
- Yield: 32 brownies
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 3/4 cup butter , melted
- 2 1/4 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (You can use any type of chocolate chips you'd like)
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup softened unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water , but I like leaving these out at room temperature]
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups mini semisweet chocolate chips
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour or use baking spray a 13x9 pan.
- In a large bowl, add the butter, sugar, vanilla and eggs.
- Add in the cocoa powder, chocolate chips and salt and whisk until well combined.
- Add in the flour and whisk until just combined (don't overwhisk)
Bake about 25-28 minutes or just until done in the center.
- Remove and cool on a rack until no longer hot.
Cookie Dough Layer:
- In a bowl with a mixer or a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugars until they are noticeably lighter in color and very fluffy.
This usually takes a couple of minutes.
- Add in water and vanilla and mix for a couple of seconds.
- Add in flour, salt and one cup of the chocolate chips and mix until all combined.
- The chips are so small they won't break apart in there.
- If you are worried or use an alternate type of mix in that is more fragile, use a spatula or whisk to incorporate the mix-ins.
- Spread the cookie dough onto the cooled brownies and sprinkle on the remaining half cup of mini chocolate chips.
- Press them into the top very lightly so they "stick."
Yield: 32 brownies, Amount per serving: 310 calories, Calories: 310g, Carbohydrates: 38g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 16g, Saturated Fat: 10g, Cholesterol: 47mg, Sodium: 110mg, Potassium: 154mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 27g, Vitamin A: 6.9g, Calcium: 3.7g, Iron: 8.7g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.