Creamy Cheesy Crab Dip is a creamy, cheesy appetizer made with sour cream, cream cheese, cheddar, and crab meat, ready in only 45 minutes!
Creamy Cheesy CRAB DIP
Creamy Cheesy Crab Dip is one of the EASIEST appetizers I have in my repertoire, which is why I make it for almost any party I throw. This is only 5 ingredients so you can pull it out anytime you have surprise guests over.
It’s especially easy because I always have cheese and sour cream in the refrigerator, so all I need to pick up is the crab meat. I’ve been serving this crab dip recipe so often though, that I started keeping canned crab in the pantry around the holidays.
This creamy cheesy crab dip recipe only requires about 5 minutes of prep time. If you can stir together some cream cheese, cheddar, sour cream, and crab meat, you can make this hot crab dip recipe. Just pour it into a baking dish and serve with crackers or bread.
I also serve with cut up lemon slices so people can add some fresh lemon juice to the crabmeat, or a sprinkle of old bay seasoning on top. People will be asking you for this crab dip recipe, I promise!
CAN YOU MAKE HOT CRAB DIP AHEAD OF TIME?
You can make hot crab dip ahead of time by prepping all of your ingredients together, then instead of cooking cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. When you’re ready, place the dip in the oven and bake until golden brown, a total time of 45 minutes.
HOW DO YOU MAKE CHEESY HOT CRAB DIP?
Cheesy crab dip is one of the easiest appetizers in the world to make. You just stir all of the ingredients together and bake until golden brown and bubbly. If you don’t have cheddar cheese, you can substitute other cheese varieties like gruyere or mozzarella. I’ve even made this with pepperjack cheese in the past and it’s been a fun change from the classic.
This is hot crab dip, so make sure to choose a cheese that melts well. If possible go with a block of cheese you shred yourself, because it doesn’t have any anti-caking ingredients like pre-shredded cheese does.
HOW LONG DOES CRAB DIP LAST?
Crab dip will last tightly wrapped in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Warm hot crab dip in the oven at 350 degrees for a total time of 10-15 minutes before serving to melt the cheese. At a party, try not to keep the hot crab dip on the counter for more than 3-4 hours for food safety. Keep your appetizer refrigerated until you’re ready to put it in the oven.
Truth be told though it’ll last about 15 minutes because it’ll be one of the first things people eat at your party. 😉
Create a free account to Save Recipes
HOW DO YOU MAKE CRAB DIP IN A BREAD BOWL?
- Hollow out a round loaf of bread, leaving about 1/2-1 inch of bread on the sides and bake at 400 degrees F until the bread is toasted, about 8-10 minutes.
- Prep your crab and pour the dip into the bread bowl, then place it back in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until dip is golden brown on top.
- Use the bread pieces you pulled out from hallowing the loaf for dipping!
WHAT DO YOU DIP IN CRAB DIP?
- Tortilla chips
- Sliced bell peppers
- French bread broken into pieces
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS HOT CRAB DIP RECIPE
- If your dip isn’t becoming golden brown fast enough, turn the broiler on for 2-3 minutes, while watching to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Stir fresh spinach leaves into the dip before baking for extra veggies and flavor.
- Use an electric mixer or stand mixer to make combining the ingredients faster and easier.
- Add spices for flavor variation, like paprika, garlic, fresh dill, parsley, or a small amount of horseradish. You can also add a dash of Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, or old bay seasoning. Worcestershire sauce will add a strong flavor so don’t use more than 1 tablespoon.
- If you can’t find crab, use cooked chopped lobster meat, shrimp or even imitation crab meat (krab meat).
- If you don’t have enough sour cream, sub in half mayonnaise. If you’re only using mayonnaise, use about 1 cup instead of the 2 cups of sour cream.
- To lighten up the recipe, swap the cream cheese for lower fat Neufchatel cheese. You won’t taste a difference!
- 8 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 2 cups sour cream
- 12 ounces crabmeat
- 2 cups cheddar cheese , shredded
- 1/4 cup green onions , sliced thinly
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all the ingredients together and add to a baking dish, cooking for 45-55 minutes.