Ultimate Spinach Artichoke Dip is the perfect easy, cheesy holiday appetizer with three cheeses and frozen spinach, ready in 30 minutes!
Spinach and cheese are the perfect way to *feel* like you’re eating a healthy Appetizer while really just eating as much cheese as possible, like this favorite Creamed Spinach.
SPINACH ARTICHOKE DIP
Dips are a fantastic party appetizer for a crowd and spinach artichoke dip is a classic fan favorite dish you can’t go wrong with. One of the reasons it likely became so popular is that the spinach and artichoke ingredients make people often question, “Is Spinach Artichoke Dip healthy?” We wish the answer to this question was yes, but no, it isn’t any healthier than any other pile of melted cheese.
This version pumps up the Parmesan flavor, uses fresh garlic instead of powdered and skips the mayonnaise all together in favor of sour cream. Spinach Artichoke dip with no mayo is a great flavorful version.
The sour cream brings a tangy flavor while keeping enough fat content in the recipe to keep it from breaking the melted cheese sauce. Please don’t replace the sour greek with fat free greek yogurt because the consistency will not be the same.
MORE DELICIOUS PARTY DIPS
Want more dips to make for your tailgate, Christmas or Thanksgiving party? Here are our most popular dip recipes!
HOW TO MAKE SPINACH ARTICHOKE DIP
- Pre-heat: This dip is quick but being prepared will make it go faster, so be sure the oven is set to 350 degrees.
- Drain Well: While this dip is easy, there is one very important step you CAN NOT skip. Make sure your spinach is drained well and remove as much liquid as possible.
- Mix Well: In a large bowl add all the ingredients except ¼ cup mozzarella and ¼ cup Parmesan cheese together until well mixed. Make sure the spinach is not left in clumps or it will have pockets of pure spinach that isn’t great for dipping.
- Pour: Pour into an oven safe pie plate or skillet, you can also use a regular baking dish or even use mini soufflé dishes for more individual servings.
- Bake: Top with mozzarella cheese for an even more delicious cheesy layer and bake for 20-25 minutes. You want to see all the cheese melted and bubbly before removing from the oven. You don’t need to look for browning.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Sturdier tortilla chips and crispy sliced baguettes are the best for enjoying spinach artichoke dip as the dip can sometimes bend or break thin chips and soft baguettes.
Yes, Spinach and Artichoke dip is naturally gluten free unless the recipe calls for flour or other gluten containing ingredients. This recipe is gluten free.
Chopped is better as chips won’t have to compete with long pieces of spinach.
Yes, absolutely, cook it down with some olive oil and once fully wilted let cool, then squeeze all the liquid out of the spinach before adding to the recipe.
Spinach Dip is made with frozen spinach, artichokes, sour cream, cream cheese, Parmesan, mozzarella and spices baked until bubbly.
Absolutely, spinach artichoke dip is the PERFECT recipe for the slow cooker, you can find it here: Slow Cooker Spinach Artichoke Dip.
Tools used in the making of this Spinach Artichoke Dip:
Artichoke Hearts: Easy to use and store, marinated for extra flavors.
Yellow Enameled Cast Iron Skillet: The perfect cheery cast iron skillet but with enamel for easier and more gentle cooking.
MORE AWESOME APPETIZER RECIPES
HOW TO STORE SPINACH ARTICHOKE DIP
- Serve: Don’t leave Spinach Artichoke dip at room temperature for more than 2 hours. If you need to serve for longer than two hours try our Slow Cooker Spinach Artichoke Dip you can leave on low while serving.
- Store: Once the dip has cooled, you can store it in the fridge. Kept in an airtight container it will stay good for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: We don’t recommend freezing this dip as it contains sour cream which can break the sauce when unfrozen. Even if you use mayonnaise it will also break the cheese sauce upon defrosting.
- 8 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese , divided
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 14 ounce can artichoke hearts , drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach , thawed and drained
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl add all the ingredients except ¼ cup mozzarella and ¼ cup Parmesan cheese together until well mixed.
- Pour into an oven safe pie plate or skillet.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and serve.
Photos used in a previous version of this post.
I’ve made this recipe several times…and every time it turns out great. I Love it and everyone who tries it loves it. Thank you for sharing this.
I made this today and the flavor was on point. However mine was not creamy in the least it was actually very dry. I don’t know what I did wrong? I couldn’t find shaved parm so I used shredded but would that of made that much of a difference?? I will definitely give it another try and hopefully get better results.
O M G! This is the best spinach artichoke dip that I have ever had. My husband loves this stuff so much that I have to make it at least once a month now. We are VERY picky eaters! This recipe is a winner!
Yay!! Thanks for coming back to let me know.
How long would I need to bake it if I double the recipe?
You may only need to add 10-15 minutes more of cook time. Enjoy!
I made this dip . It is delicious!!
can i make this ahead let say a day?
Yes 🙂 Enjoy!
Outstanding spinach and artichoke dip I did put in a little dash of red pepper flakes to give it a little kick it worked out great thanks
I’ve tried out A LOT of spinach artichoke dip recipes and this one is my favorite—and my husband agrees! Thank you!
Wow! Thank you so much!
Very easy and delicious!! I even doubled it for a holiday gathering with friends.
So glad you enjoyed it, Rose! Thanks for the 5 stars.
Can you use fresh spinach? Do you sauté the spinach first ?
If using fresh spinach, cook it down with some olive oil and once fully wilted let it cool. Then squeeze all of the liquid out of it before adding it to the recipe. Hope this helps!
So Good. This is my favorite!
I’m so glad you love it!
Is there a step missing? The steps go from mixing to going back into the oven…
You’ll want to place it in an oven safe pie plate or skillet. So sorry about that, thanks for letting me know.
Sounds awesome & easy. I’m going to try stuffing some boneless chicken breasts with this dip. I’m sure they’ll be fantastic. Thanks for the yummy recipe.
This looks amazingly delicious! Perfect for game day and parties!
This looks so good! I cannot wait to try it!
Artichoke dip is one of my absolute favorite things in the world!
That looks fabulous, craving some right now!
Thank you! It’s so good, it’s hard not to want to eat it all up!
YUM! Definitely making this to bring to a get together!
Smart decision!! People will be inviting you to All the get togethers knowing you’ll be bringing this!
Gosh I wish I was your neighbor and that we got along great and that you always made too much food and you always knocked on my door with a plate of leftovers. But you’re not and so I will settle for the recipe. Thank you for this awesome one!
Haha! If the houses next door ever go on the market, I’ll tell them to put that as a selling point. 🙂