Ultimate Spinach Artichoke Dip is the perfect easy, cheesy holiday appetizer with three cheeses and frozen spinach, ready in 30 minutes!
SPINACH ARTICHOKE DIP
Dips are a fantastic party appetizer for a crowd and spinach artichoke dip is a classic fan favorite dish you can’t go wrong with. One of the reasons it likely became so popular is that the spinach and artichoke ingredients make people often question, “Is Spinach Artichoke Dip healthy?” We wish the answer to this question was yes, but no, it isn’t any healthier than any other pile of melted cheese.
This version pumps up the Parmesan flavor, uses fresh garlic instead of powdered and skips the mayonnaise all together in favor of sour cream. Spinach Artichoke dip with no mayo is a great flavorful version.
The sour cream brings a tangy flavor while keeping enough fat content in the recipe to keep it from breaking the melted cheese sauce. Please don’t replace the sour greek with fat free greek yogurt because the consistency will not be the same.
MORE DELICIOUS PARTY DIPS
Want more dips to make for your tailgate, Christmas or Thanksgiving party? Here are our most popular dip recipes!
HOW TO MAKE SPINACH ARTICHOKE DIP
- Pre-heat: This dip is quick but being prepared will make it go faster, so be sure the oven is set to 350 degrees.
- Drain Well: While this dip is easy, there is one very important step you CAN NOT skip. Make sure your spinach is drained well and remove as much liquid as possible.
- Mix Well: In a large bowl add all the ingredients except ¼ cup mozzarella and ¼ cup Parmesan cheese together until well mixed. Make sure the spinach is not left in clumps or it will have pockets of pure spinach that isn’t great for dipping.
- Pour: Pour into an oven safe pie plate or skillet, you can also use a regular baking dish or even use mini soufflé dishes for more individual servings.
- Bake: Top with mozzarella cheese for an even more delicious cheesy layer and bake for 20-25 minutes. You want to see all the cheese melted and bubbly before removing from the oven. You don’t need to look for browning.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Sturdier tortilla chips and crispy sliced baguettes are the best for enjoying spinach artichoke dip as the dip can sometimes bend or break thin chips and soft baguettes.
Yes, Spinach and Artichoke dip is naturally gluten free unless the recipe calls for flour or other gluten containing ingredients. This recipe is gluten free.
Chopped is better as chips won’t have to compete with long pieces of spinach.
Yes, absolutely, cook it down with some olive oil and once fully wilted let cool, then squeeze all the liquid out of the spinach before adding to the recipe.
Spinach Dip is made with frozen spinach, artichokes, sour cream, cream cheese, Parmesan, mozzarella and spices baked until bubbly.
Absolutely, spinach artichoke dip is the PERFECT recipe for the slow cooker, you can find it here: Slow Cooker Spinach Artichoke Dip.
Tools used in the making of this Spinach Artichoke Dip:
Artichoke Hearts: Easy to use and store, marinated for extra flavors.
Yellow Enameled Cast Iron Skillet: The perfect cheery cast iron skillet but with enamel for easier and more gentle cooking.
MORE AWESOME APPETIZER RECIPES
HOW TO STORE SPINACH ARTICHOKE DIP
- Serve: Don’t leave Spinach Artichoke dip at room temperature for more than 2 hours. If you need to serve for longer than two hours try our Slow Cooker Spinach Artichoke Dip you can leave on low while serving.
- Store: Once the dip has cooled, you can store it in the fridge. Kept in an airtight container it will stay good for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: We don’t recommend freezing this dip as it contains sour cream which can break the sauce when unfrozen. Even if you use mayonnaise it will also break the cheese sauce upon defrosting.
- 8 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese , divided
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 14 ounce can artichoke hearts , drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach , thawed and drained
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl add all the ingredients except ¼ cup mozzarella and ¼ cup Parmesan cheese together until well mixed.
- Pour into an oven safe pie plate or skillet.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and serve.
Photos used in a previous version of this post.