Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup is the ultimate Italian comfort food made in one pot in under 30 minutes. Flavorful and cheesy soup that’s perfect for winter!
Is there anything better than serving up a big pot of soup for Dinner on a cold night? This Tomato Tortellini Soup is the perfect blend of creamy broth, hearty ingredients, and classic Italian spices. Just like Italian Chicken Soup, it’s the perfect way to enjoy your favorite Italian flavors in a warm soup.
CREAMY TOMATO TORTELLINI SOUP
This Tortellini Soup is wonderfully simple weeknight dinner. After adding each ingredient to the dutch oven, all you have to do is let it simmer until the tortellini is cooked. The heavy cream, or half-and-half make it unbelievably creamy, and the warm spices come together for the ultimate comforting dish. Serve up piping hot bowls of Tortellini Soup with crusty bread, Garlic Bread, or Dinner Rolls for dipping, and enjoy!
Creamy Tortellini Soup is such an easy dish, it’s sure to become a go-to for weeknight dinners. All you need is the pasta, tomato, chicken broth, heavy cream and Italian seasonings that you probably already have in your pantry. Tortellini Soup is such a great recipe to make the next time you just don’t have a lot of time. With less than a half hour of cooking in the dutch oven you’ll have perfect Tomato and Tortellini Soup.
Tortellini pasta always makes for a wonderful dish. The ring-shaped pasta is similar to ravioli because each piece is filled with delicious cheese. This flavorful pasta is the star of the show in a soup, salad or any other dish. The pasta, Parmesan Cheese, and heavy cream come together to make the most rich and creamy tortellini soup you’ll ever taste.
This Tortellini Soup Recipe is also great to make in advance and keep in the freezer. After cooking, let the Tortellini and Tomato Soup cool to room temperature, then store it in an airtight container in the fridge. You can even divide the tomato soup into serving-sized containers for a ready-made meal. Put the Tortellini Soup Recipe in the fridge to defrost overnight. Reheat it in the microwave or over the stove top until the pasta is heated through.
MORE SOUP RECIPES
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON CREAMY TOMATO TORTELLINI SOUP
- Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup: Instead of making a vegetarian Tortellini Soup, you can add in some shredded chicken breast to make a chicken tortellini soup. Chicken stock will be preferable to vegetable broth in Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup. Add in the chicken before the broth to make sure the chicken is cooked through with the veggies.
- Other meats: Instead of chicken tortellini soup, turkey or sausage tortellini soup would also be delicious. If you decide to use sausage you could use Italian sausage or spicy sausage to give the soup some extra kick. Again, you’ll want to be sure to brown the sausage or turkey before you add in the broth.
- Tortellini: Instead of using cheese tortellini, you can use spinach tortellini. There’s already spinach in this tomato soup recipe, so making it a spinach tortellini soup will blend well and won’t change the rest of the ingredients.
- Cheese: Along with the cheese-filled tortellini, this soup recipe has extra cheese sprinkled over the top. The recipe calls for parmesan cheese, but you can change that up depending on what you have on hand. Try using mozzarella, provolone, or Pecorino Romano.
- Add-ins: There are plenty of extra veggies and seasonings you can add to this Tomato and Spinach Tortellini Soup. Mix in some extra tomatoes like sun-dried tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, or fire-roasted tomatoes. You can also add some more Italian seasonings like oregano, pesto, garlic salt, or black pepper.
SLOW COOKER CREAMY TOMATO TORTELLINI SOUP
- Cook up the garlic, red pepper, and onion in the butter in a skillet.
- Transfer the onion mixture to the crock pot, add the flour and mix together.
- Add in the broth, tomatoes and tomatoes. Mix the ingredients together, cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Add tortellini, spinach, parmesan, and heavy cream. Stir the ingredients together and set the crock pot to high until the tortellini is cooked. It should take 15-30 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
INSTANT POT CREAMY TOMATO TORTELLINI SOUP
- Turn the instant pot onto sauté mode. Add in the butter, onion, garlic, and red pepper. Cook until tender.
- Add in the flour, broth, and tomatoes. Mix the ingredients together.
- Seal the Instant pot and pressure cook for 15 minutes. When it’s done cooking manually release the pressure.
- Add the tortellini, and cream. Cook for another 7 minutes, until you have cooked tortellini.
- Add in the spinach, parmesan, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
MORE ITALIAN RECIPES
HOW TO STORE CREAMY TOMATO TORTELLINI SOUP
- Serve: Once you’ve baked Tortellini Tomato Soup, don’t leave it at room temperature for more than two hours.
- Store: Let the Creamy Tortellini cool to room temperature, then transfer it to an airtight container. It will stay good in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Serve: You can freeze your Tomato Tortellini Soup for up to 4 months with no problems.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 2 cloves garlic , chopped
- red pepper flakes , to taste, (optional)
- 1/4 cup flour , rice flour for gluten free
- 3 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes , (1 can)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 ounces cheese tortellini , gluten free for gluten free
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano , parmesan, grated
- 10 ounces spinach , coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy/whipping cream or Greek yogurt
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 1/4 cup basil , chopped (optional)
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat, add the onion and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the flour and cook for another minute.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, tomato paste and tortellini, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the tortellini is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the parmesan, let it melt, add the spinach, let it wilt, add the cream, season with salt and pepper to taste, remove from heat before adding the basil.