White Chocolate Puppy Chow (Muddy Buddies) are crunchy and sweet, made with ONLY 4 ingredients, Chex cereal, peanut butter, white chocolate, and powdered sugar, and ready in under 5 minutes!
WHITE CHOCOLATE PUPPY CHOW (MUDDY BUDDIES)
White Chocolate Puppy Chow (Muddy Buddies) are the PERFECT party dessert, made with crispy Chex cereal coated with peanut butter, melted white chocolate chips, and powdered sugar. They’re great to put out in a bowl for guests to enjoy all night, or on the dessert table with the other sweets. The best part is that you probably already have these ingredients in your pantry!
I’ve also made these with other ingredients like pretzels, peanuts, cheerios and other crunchy cereal, and even mini marshmallows. You can wrap these up and give them out as gifts, or as party favors with puppy chow recipe cards. I’ve also made these with different flavored chocolate chips for holidays!
HOW DO YOU STORE MUDDY BUDDIES (PUPPY CHOW)?
Muddy Buddies can be stored at room temperature for about 2 weeks. You can also keep them in the refrigerator if you want to keep them an additional week, or because chocolate puppy chow tastes great cold, too!
CAN YOU FREEZE MUDDY BUDDIES (PUPPY CHOW)?
You can definitely make muddy buddies ahead of time and freeze them in a large ziplock bag or airtight container. Then just pull them out and leave them on the counter the night before you want to serve, and they should be defrosted with enough time.
You might have to toss the puppy chow in a large bowl with some extra powdered sugar if some of it fell off the cereal in the freezer.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
MORE CHOCOLATE DESSERT RECIPES
- Christmas White Chocolate Trash Snack Mix
- Oreo White Chocolate Cookie Pie
- Chocolate Covered Pretzels
- Strawberry White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
- Slow Cooker Chocolate Peanut Candy
- Valentine’s Day Chocolate Oreos
TIPS FOR MAKING WHITE CHOCOLATE PUPPY CHOW (MUDDY BUDDIES)
- Use regular peanut butter instead of the natural kind, because the sugar in the product can help keep everything together and add some sweetness.
- Try adding other ingredients to this puppy chow recipe like mini chocolate chips, butterscotch pieces, caramel sauce, pretzels, or peanuts for more party mix variety. Or sprinkle with crushed peanuts for decoration.
- Any plain crispy cereal will do for puppy chow, like Crispix cereal or Corn Chex (instead of Rice Chex) cereal. I prefer Chex because it has a really nice crunch that I like with this recipe.
- Finish off this puppy chow recipe with some cinnamon sugar for a white chocolate snickerdoodle version!
- The white chocolate chips and peanut butter are what make the powdered sugar stick to the cereal, so make sure the muddy buddies are thoroughly coated. Or use peanut butter chips, melted, and coat the muddy buddies with that for a sweeter peanut butter puppy chow.
- You can also make this puppy chow recipe with dark or milk chocolate chips instead of white chocolate chips if you want to. You can also try using almond bark to coat the Chex instead of chocolate, for a richer flavor.
- Add a few drops of vanilla or peppermint extract to the melted semi-sweet chocolate chips for some different puppy chow variations.
- Add a drop or two of coconut oil to your melted white chocolate chips if they are too thick to work with.
- You can also melt the chocolate chips and peanut butter in a double boiler on the stove, instead of in a microwave-safe bowl.
- This recipe is naturally gluten free as long as you use the rice or corn Chex!
- Lay the puppy chow out on a cookie sheet with parchment paper or wax paper, and use a sifter to dust with powdered sugar to make sure everything is coated, as an alternative to the plastic bag method.
- Make sure you have a large bowl ready, the mixture is sticky and this will make it easier to stir the puppy chow together without spilling.
- 10 cups Rice Chex
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 cups white chocolate chips
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Melt the white chocolate and peanut butter in the microwave in 30 second increments in the microwave in a large glass bowl (90 seconds total).
- Stir well until mixed then add in the cereal and mix well until coated before adding the cereal to a large ziploc bag with the powdered sugar and shaking until fully coated.