Baked Cheddar Broccoli Tots are a breeze to make, a huge hit with kids and full of flavor that’ll help cut down on the carbs and fat of regular tater tots!
Baked Cheddar Broccoli Tots are a wonderful side dish that you can use to augment or replace regular tater tots in your family’s dinner rotation. We’re always looking for ways to incorporate more veggies into meals and snacks with the kids (especially green vegetables!) and these tots have become a huge hit with kids and adults alike.
Here’s the video of this recipe:
Served with some awesome dipping sauces, ketchup for my oldest and greek yogurt for my youngest, they are a fun side dish to add to almost any weeknight meal. We’ve even baked them into mac and cheese for the kids and they get excited when they find the tots inside (total parent win to get kids excited about broccoli btw). When we got home I started talking to a couple of blogging friends about tater tots with broccoli and found that a couple of good blogging friends from Natural Girl Modern World had photographed these amazing Baked Broccoli Tots (linked below).
To make them a bit more weeknight and kid friendly I left out a couple of ingredients and the hot sauce, but these Baked Cheddar Broccoli Tots were a HUGE hit. Since that dinner we’ve made these tots a half dozen times (mind you this is just in the last month), because I am all about getting green vegetables into the little ones. They are and have always been obsessed with grape tomatoes, but broccoli has always been a struggle, that’s why this recipe has been such an awesome addition to our meal rotations.
Making these Baked Cheddar Broccoli Tots are a great alternative to regular tater tots, but you can also make them with other vegetables as well.
- Carrots make a great alternative to the broccoli and look like sweet potatoes but with less carbs.
- Cauliflower is an easy swap for the broccoli, just be sure to steam them a bit longer than the broccoli.
- Zucchini! We LOVE making this with zucchini now and have also been experimenting with half zucchini and half broccoli.
- Enjoy the fall season and make this with steamed and minced pumpkin or butternut squash!
- Any vegetable you can steam to soften will work well in this Baked Cheddar Broccoli Tots recipe.
Baked Cheddar Broccoli Tots
- Yield: 20 tots
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 14 minutes
- Total Time: 24 minutes
- Course: Side
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Dinner, then Dessert
- 2 cups broccoli crowns (try to avoid as much of the thicker stalk as possible)
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup yellow onion , minced and squeezed in a paper towel to remove juices
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced green onions
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- canola oil spray
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and spray a baking sheet with oil.
Add the broccoli to a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 2 minutes covered with a wet paper towel.
- Mince the broccoli as small as you can and add it to the rest of the ingredients in large bowl.
- Using a heaping tablespoon of the mixture, roll it in your hands before pressing down on the top and bottom of the ball while pressing in on the sides and rotating to make a "tot" shape.
- Place onto the baking sheet and spray the tops of the tots with an additional bit of canola oil spray.
Bake for 7 minutes, turn the tots and bake an additional seven minutes.
This post contains affiliate links.
Yield: 20 tots, Amount per serving: 33 calories, Calories: 33g, Carbohydrates: 3g, Protein: 1g, Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 19mg, Sodium: 107mg, Potassium: 46mg, Vitamin A: 115g, Vitamin C: 8.4g, Calcium: 33g, Iron: 0.3g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.
This post was sponsored by Gerber but all the opinions are my own.