Baked Fontina Cheese Dip inspired by Ina Garten with garlic and thyme amped up with the addition of fresh mozzarella and Parmesan is the perfect appetizer.
Baked Fontina Cheese Dip is the second round of this delicious partnership with Stella Cheeses. A couple of months ago I worked on a recipe for Stella Cheeses and made these amazing Caprese Pizza Bombs (stringy cheese alert!) so when Stella wanted me to work with them to provide a holiday recipe for easy entertaining I was so excited I went to the store the same day buying all the cheese I could!
This Baked Fontina Cheese Dip starts as a recipe from Ina Garten but I mellow it out and pump up with Parmesan flavor at the same time by using three cheeses instead of one.
The second change is to keep the rosemary out of the recipe, which is of course a personal choice, but to be honest we are going for cheese flavor here and I find rosemary is one of those herbs that takes over everything in it’s path with an iron fist.
Baked Fontina Cheese Dip is one of the easiest and most addicting holiday appetizers you can serve up to your guests. Once the cheese is diced, the garlic is minced and the herbs are sprinkled on your 6 minutes away from serving it.
This means you can make this recipe the morning before the party and just leave it in the fridge (covered, or your fridge will soon smell like garlic!) until party time.
Then once you’re guests are milling around and have their glasses of wine you toss the cast iron skillet (okay, maybe don’t actually toss it) into the oven and in 6 minutes the party is going to be surrounding this deliciously melty pan full of cheese.
- 1 pound Stella® Fontina Cheese , rind removed and cut into 1" chunks
- 8 ounces Stella® Fresh Mozzarella Cheese , cut into 1" chunks
- 1/2 cup Stella® Parmesan Cheese , divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- French baguette slices , toasted
- Set the oven to broil and the rack to six inches away from the top of the oven.
- In a large cast iron skillet add the Fontina, mozzarella, ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, olive oil, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Put the pan in the oven to broil for 6-7 minutes or until browned.
- Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese and parsley when it comes out of the oven.
- Serve with toasted baguette slices.