Easy Banana Muffins are light fluffy bakery-style muffins full of cinnamon-sugar and banana flavor. Tasty muffins made with ripe bananas, sugar, and spices.
If you love Banana Bread but want a Breakfast Recipe that is lighter and perfect for on the go, you will love these fluffy cake-like Banana Muffins.
If you’ve got some ripe bananas, a handful of common pantry items, a muffin tin, and 30 minutes, then you have everything you need for an easy breakfast! These fluffy, moist muffins are full of banana flavor and perfect for breakfast on the go.
The riper the banana the better for Banana Muffins! As bananas ripen, they get sweeter and easier to mix by hand. If you have ripe bananas that you aren’t ready to use, simply freeze them. Peel the bananas, place in a freezer safe bag, and thaw on the counter when you are ready to use them.
For a quick breakfast on the go, serve Banana Muffins with a pat of butter. To serve them for a nice brunch, top them with fresh Whipped Cream and banana slices. You can drizzle them with Salted Caramel Sauce for dessert too!
You can make Banana Muffins by hand if you don’t have a stand mixer. The nice thing about a stand mixer is you can control the speed and keep from over-mixing your batter. If you use beaters, only use them to cream the wet ingredients and use a spatula to fold in the dry ingredients because you only want to add the dry ingredients until you don’t see any unmixed flour. Any mixing beyond that point is overmixing.
Need to ripen your bananas quickly?
Place the bananas on a baking sheet and bake at 300 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until they’re almost completely brown. Allow them to cool before using in the banana bread.
OTHER TASTY MUFFIN RECIPES
These tasty Banana Muffins are a great recipe to make in advance. You can make them at the start of the week and they will last for days on the counter. Individually wrap them in foil and freeze them for later. Just pop in the oven wrapped in foil to heat or defrost overnight on the counter! The inherent moisture the mashed banana adds to the cake makes this recipe a great option for freezing/thawing, it won’t be a dry/crumbly cake as it thaws.
You can also toast your banana muffin if you cut it in half, then spread the half with butter. A sweetened honey butter would also be a nice addition.
Banana Muffins have a cake-like batter so they are lighter than banana bread but with similar flavors. There are no walnuts in these bakery style Banana Muffins but you can add them for a bit of texture. The added nutmeg and brown sugar in this Banana Muffin recipe gives them a richer, warmer flavor.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON BANANA MUFFINS
- Chocolate Chips: Chocolate tastes delicious with banana. Fold in a ½ cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips, or white chocolate chips. You can also add a ⅓ cup cocoa powder to your batter.
- Berries: Add 1 cup fresh blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, or chopped strawberry pieces to your muffins for fruity bursts.
- Streusel Topping: Make these Banana Crumb Muffins by adding the crumb topping on Blueberry Crumb Muffins.
- Add-Ins: For crunch and texture, add ½ cup chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans. You can also mix in dried pineapple or shredded coconut for sweeter moist bites.
- Sour Cream: Swap out the whole milk with sour cream, greek yogurt or buttermilk for tangy, rich muffin recipe.
- Healthy Banana Muffins: Substitute applesauce for the oil in this recipe for lighter healthy Banana Muffins.
- Mini Muffins: This recipe will make about 18-24 mini muffins. Bake mini Banana Muffins for 11-13 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Jumbo Muffins: For large bakery sized muffins, use a 6 cup muffin pan and bake at 375 degrees for 20-24 minutes.
EVEN MORE TASTY MUFFIN RECIPES
HOW TO STORE BANANA MUFFINS
- Serve: Banana Muffins can be kept at room temperature for up to 3 days. Keep in an airtight container lined with a paper towel so they don’t get soggy.
- Store: Keep your Banana Muffins fresh longer by refrigerating in a plastic storage bag or airtight container up to 1 week.
- Freeze: Flash freeze on a baking sheet for one hour so muffins don’t stick together. Freeze for 6 months in a freezer safe bag.
- 3 medium bananas , very ripe - mashed (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar , packed
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg , lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a muffin tin with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together the mashed bananas, sugar, brown sugar, oil, egg and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Sift together over the wet ingredients the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Whisk together the dry and wet ingredients until just combined.
- Using a ¼ cup measure scoop the batter into the muffin liners and bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
These muffins were so moist and fluffy. Very good recipe.
I tried these, and they were quite good. Cinnamon’s not my favorite, so I toned that down (added 1/4 tsp instead of 3/4 tsp), increased the nutmeg (to 3/4 tsp), and added a few drops of almond extract along with the vanilla extract. I’d probably leave the cinnamon out entirely next time, but I will definitely make these again! Muffins were moist and tender, and tasted great!
Thanks for the feedback, Cindy!
I need to try this muffin recipe out asap! I love bananas so I know i’m going to love this recipe!
They’re so good! Enjoy!
I love these banana muffins! They are so light and fluffy. The added nutmeg and brown sugar makes these muffins so tasty!
Glad to hear you loved them, Luci. Thanks for the 5 stars.
These banana muffins were so soft and full of flavor. I had to make a second batch for the family. Will pin and make again.
Glad you love them so much!
These Muffins look so amazing! The perfect way to use Bananas! So moist and fluffy!
These banana muffins are great and truly easy to prepare! They came out with the perfect fluffy texture.
Thanks for coming back to let me know how much you enjoyed them, Amanda.
Oh my.. This is a killer recipe, we made it and tasted so much delicious! Thanks for sharing!