Apple Crisp Muffins are soft, fluffy, moist, and full of apple chunks, nutmeg, cinnamon, and brown sugar with a streusel topping. The perfect Fall breakfast!
This delicious Breakfast Recipe is the perfect sweet and comforting muffin full of warm spices inspired by a classic Apple Crisp.
APPLE CRISP MUFFINS
These Muffins are one of the best recipes to make on an Autumn morning. You’ll love how the smell of brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baked apples fill the house as the muffins get closer to done. These delicious muffins have the classic flavors of an Apple Crisp or Apple Crumb Pie but baked into the perfect breakfast treat.
The muffin base is wonderfully buttery and soft. Then it’s all topped off with a sweet, crumbly oat topping. It’s the perfect blend of flavor and texture. Plus, these muffins are easy to make and ready to enjoy in just 30 minutes!
Apple Crisp Muffins are great for breakfast, a mid-morning pick-me-up, or on the go snack. You can always double up the recipe to make two batches and keep one in the freezer. That way you’ll have an easy make-ahead breakfast that you can defrost the night before a busy morning.
HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN BUTTERMILK
If you don’t have store-bought buttermilk, you can easily make your own. Sometimes it’s easier to make it at home and have the right amount instead of a whole gallon in the fridge that you won’t necessarily use.
- Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice in a glass measuring cup.
- Add milk to the top and fill it to the cup line.
- Mix in the ingredients and then let sit for 5 minutes so it curdles slightly.
MORE DELICIOUS MUFFIN RECIPES
TIPS FOR MAKING APPLE CRISP MUFFINS
- Prep: Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees and line your muffin tin with paper muffin liners.
- Wet ingredients: Add the buttermilk, brown sugar, egg, melted butter, and vanilla extract to a large bowl to mix by hand or mix it in a stand mixer. If you’re using a stand mixer keep the speed low for about 30 seconds until the batter is smooth. If you’re mixing by hand you’ll have to mix a little longer.
- Dry ingredients: Slowly sift in the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg into the wet ingredients. Still mix slowly, and be careful not to overmix at this stage. Chop the apples into squares and fold them into the batter. Scoop the batter into the muffin liners so they’re about ¾ full.
- Topping: In a small bowl mash together the flour, sugar, brown sugar, salt, oats, and butter with a fork until it is formed into crumbs. Sprinkle the mixture over the top of the muffin cups.
- Bake: Bake the Apple Crisp Muffins for 20-22 minutes. Put a toothpick in the center of a muffin. If it comes out without batter on the toothpick then you’ll know the muffins are done.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON APPLE CRISP MUFFINS
- Add-ins: There are so many delicious add-ins you can mix into this recipe along with the apples. Try adding cinnamon chips to play up the delicious cinnamon flavor already in these muffins. You can also add in some nuts like pecans, almonds, or cashews for some crunch.
- Mini muffins: To make these muffins even more portable and adorable you can bake them in a mini muffin tin. Keep an eye on the mini muffins while they’re baking to make sure they don’t overcook because the mini muffins will bake quicker.
- Glaze: Along with crisp topping you can also add a delicious glaze over the top of the Apple Crisp Muffins after they bake. Just whisk together 2 cups powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons softened butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 3-4 tablespoons milk.
- Oil: In place of the melted butter try using coconut oil or applesauce. Use the same amount of coconut oil or applesauce as you would melted butter.
- Sweetener: For different sweeteners, you can try using maple syrup or coconut sugar in place of the brown sugar in the recipe.
MORE APPLE BAKED GOODS
HOW TO STORE APPLE CRISP MUFFINS
- Serve: Muffins can be kept at room temperature for up to 2 days. Let them cool then put them in an airtight container in a dry cool place.
- Store: Sealed in an airtight container, you can also keep Apple Crisp Muffins in the fridge for up to a week.
- Freeze: Muffins are also great to keep in the freezer for up to 6 months. Flash freeze the muffins still in the tin, then switch the muffins to a freezer bag once they’re hardened.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar , packed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 red apples , diced (about 2 cups)
- 3/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar , packed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup rolled oats , not instant
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter , diced
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a muffin tin with muffin liners.
- To your stand mixer (or a large bowl with a hand mixer) add the buttermilk, brown sugar, egg, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
- Mix on the lowest speed setting until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg and add it to the wet ingredients until just combined on the lowest speed setting.
- Fold in the apples, then scoop into the muffin liners.
- To make the crisp topping, mash together the flour, sugar, brown sugar, salt, oats, and butter and sprinkle it over the muffin batter.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes.