Easy Apple Cake is and easy sheet cake made with fresh apples and cinnamon topped with a homemade apple pie filling. Healthy breakfast variation included!
APPLE SHEET CAKE
Surely this Apple Sheet Cake counts for a daily dose of apples! It’s packed with fresh apples and topped with even more apples (thanks to our Homemade Apple Pie Filling). This is the perfect cake for apple lovers and home cooks looking for an easy dessert for a special occasion or weeknight dinner.
This easy recipe is a one bowl recipe that has a cook time of less than hour. You’ll be cleaned up and ready to eat this delicious cake guilt free by the time it’s done cooling. The apple pie topping is optional, this moist cake is just as yummy without it!
Apple Cake is an old fashioned apple recipe that uses common pantry items and fresh apples. The apples are sliced thinly so they add moisture and tons of apple flavor in every bite. This dense, moist cake is an easy recipe for new home cooks, but is pretty enough for a special dinner.
Apple Sheet Cake is a fantastic potluck dessert that’s easy to make, baked in a large casserole dish, and can be at room temperature for days without the topping. Keep the apple pie topping warm on the side in a slow cooker so your cake doesn’t get soggy.
You can also serve it for breakfast like a coffee cake with a cup of coffee and dusted with powdered sugar or brown sugar.
If you want to make this healthier or meal prep for to-go breakfast options we’ve got you covered!
Make this into a Healthier Breakfast Option:
If you want to make this into a more savory breakfast option:
- Cut the sugar back to 1 cup, add in ½ cup applesauce. This will cut down on the sweetness which you don’t need so much of at breakfast.
- Add in 1 cup of instant oats (rolled oats will absorb too much liquid) into the mix to make it more of a filling breakfast.
- Slice into squares (not topped with the apple pie filling) and you can freeze individually. Microwave on half power for 1 minute to thaw. You can also bake into muffins (18-20 minutes).
MORE APPLE DESSERT RECIPES
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON APPLE CAKE
- Fruits: Substitute other firmer fruits like pears, plums, or just ripe peaches. Make sure your peaches or plums aren’t too juicy. Fresh berries like blueberries or raspberries would taste great too!
- Apples: The best baking apples are tart and firm. Use Granny Smith apples, Golden Delicious apples, Gala apples, or Honey Crisp apples for this cake.
- French Apple Cake: Make this more like a French Apple Cake by adding a ¼ cup spiced rum and substituting ¾ cup brown sugar for the 2 cups sugar.
- Bundt Pan: To make this an Apple Bundt Cake, pour batter into a well greased bundt pan and bake at 325 degrees for 60-65 minutes. You can also bake this cake in 2 cake pans or springform pans without any adjustments to cook time.
- Cream Cheese: Add dollops of softened cream cheese to your Apple Cake batter for creamy, moist bites.
- Toppings: Instead of Apple Pie filling, top your Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, powdered sugar. or cinnamon sugar.
MORE EASY DELICIOUS CAKES
HOW TO STORE APPLE CAKE
- Serve: Keep your Apple Cake with topping at room temperature for up to 2 hours before storing. Plain Apple Cake can be covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Store: Store the topping separate from the cake so it doesn’t get soggy. Refrigerate for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
- Freeze: Freeze a cooled Apple Cake for up to 3 months covered in plastic wrap in an airtight container. The apple topping can be frozen separately for up to 6 months.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking pan with baking spray.
- To your stand mixer add the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time then the vanilla extract until fully combined.
- Sift together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt.
- Lower the stand mixer speed to low and add in the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Stir in the apples gently then pour the batter into your baking pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely before topping with Apple Pie Filling (Homemade Recipe).
- 4 medium apples, peeled and cored
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water