Cherry Chocolate Cream Cheese Bundt Cake is a rich, moist, chocolate cake with cherries filled with cream cheese for the ULTIMATE chocolate cherry dessert!
One of the most popular chocolate Dessert Recipes on the site is our Triple Chocolate Bundt Cake because it’s so rich, moist and delicious. This Cherry Chocolate Cake takes that chocolate cake base and adds a cheesecake filling and cherries to make the BEST CHOCOLATE CAKE EVER. Yes, that was some internet yelling because the cake is that delicious.
Cherry Chocolate Cream Cheese Bundt Cake
Chocolate cake and cheesecake seem like a match made in heaven. Cheesecake and Cherry Pie filling are a classic combination we all know are a match made in heaven. So this recipe is basically the best of both worlds baked into one delightfully almost overfilled bundt cake.
You will not be disappointed in this cake, it is moist, rich, it has a creamy and tangy New York style Cheesecake filling. And with one can of cherry pie filling used creatively we have a fruit filling and a cake glaze all in one.
The directions may seem daunting. This is because you’re making a cake and a cheesecake in one recipe. But from start to finish I had this cake in the oven in under 30 minutes.
The extra ingredients and the extra steps are totally worth it!
MORE DELICIOUS CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPES:
HOW TO MAKE CHERRY CHOCOLATE BUNDT CAKE:
- Make Your Chocolate Cake: This is a classic, rich bundt cake recipe.
- Strain the cherries: We are using the cherries for the cake batter and the glaze for the top of the cake. Use a pasta strainer to make it easy.
- Make the Cheesecake filling: This should only take a couple minutes as long as you use room temperature cream cheese (you can microwave it on 50% power for 2 minutes too – just cover it with a moist paper towel).
- Assemble Your Cake: We want to use more batter on the bottom then on the top so it isn’t top heavy over the cheesecake layer.
- Bake: This is a heavy, large cake so we are going to bake it for an hour, then let it cool significantly before removing it or it can break apart thanks to the cheesecake layer. If you have a silicone bundt pan I’d highly recommend it for this recipe since I like to fully cool the cake in it.
- Glaze your Cake: Warm your glaze just slightly to make it easier to spoon on if you’d like, or you can just add it at room temperature.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
- Can you bake this in a baking dish instead? Yes, of course. You can make this cake into bars or a sheet cake. The cooking time will be closer to 40-45 minutes and you’ll have to be a bit more cautious about your layering as you will have to spread the cream cheese out on a wider surface. Take your time, use a small spoon to put small even spoonfuls all the way across a 9×13 pan.
- Can you use pre-made cheesecake? Yes. I suppose you could cut up pre-made cheesecake chunks into the batter. You will have it slightly overcooked as it will be cooking twice, but it will also make a nice pattern inside the cake.
- Can you use other pie filling flavors? Yes! Any fruit filling with fruit pieces and a glaze will work. Just strain the glaze and save it for the top of the cake and add the fruit pieces in.
MORE DELICIOUS CHEESECAKE RECIPES:
I love chocolate and cherry but you can make this cake with so many more options! I’m linking to the pie fillings on Amazon so you can buy them easily.
- Carrot/Pineapple Pie Filling: This would take Carrot Cake Cheesecake to the next level! Use my Classic Carrot Cake Recipe as the base.
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake/Pineapple Pie Filling: This would take the Classic Pineapple Upside Down Cake to the next level! Use my Pineapple Upside Down Cake recipe as the base, mix in maraschino cherries that you rinsed and dried well, then top with additional cherries.
- Chocolate/Strawberry Pie Filling: Chocolate and Strawberry are the perfect pair, this cake would be a delicious option!
- Chocolate/Raspberry Pie Filling: Chocolate and Raspberries would be a delicious option too if you like different berries. They also have a Mixed Berry Pie Filling!
- Yellow Cake/Peach Filling: A delicious take on a peach cobbler with a cheesecake filling! Use my Classic Yellow Cake Recipe as the base.
- Spice Cake/Apple Pie Filling: Use my Apple Crisp Crumb Cake (without the crumb topping) as the base for this recipe.
Serve and Store this Cherry Chocolate Cheesecake Bundt Cake:
- Serve: You can keep the cake for up to 2 hours at room temperature. After that you should refrigerate it as it contains a full cheesecake inside of it.
- Store: You can keep your cake in the fridge for up to 7 days, as long as you keep it tightly covered or sealed in an airtight container that will keep moisture out.
- Freeze: You can keep your cake in the freezer for up to 6 months. Once again, make sure to keep it tightly sealed.
Chocolate Bundt Cake
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee
Cream Cheese Layer
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
To Make the Chocolate Bundt Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a bundt pan with butter and flour or baking spray.
- Add the flour sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a stand mixer on low speed until combined.
- In a second bowl combine the sour cream, oil, eggs, and vanilla with a whisk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the stand mixer on low.
- Add the coffee to the mixture until just combined.
To Make the Cream Cheese Layer:
- Beat the cream cheese, egg, sugar and vanilla extract together until smooth and creamy.
To Make the Cherry Layer:
- Using a large hole strainer (like a pasta strainer), separate the cherries from the glaze and save the glaze in a small bowl.
- Mix half of the strained cherries into your cake batter.
- Add ⅓ of the cake mixture to your bundt pan.
- Add the cream cheese layer carefully with a spoon over the cake mixture.
- Add in the rest of the strained cherries to make a cherry layer over cream cheese mixture.
- Add the remaining cake batter over the cherry layer.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes.
- Let cool completely then remove from pan carefully (if you're concerned about sticking, remove carefully after 15 minutes).
- Glaze with the reserved cherry filling glaze.