Caramelized Onion Feta Pastry Bites from Trader Joe’s are one of their most popular frozen appetizers (and most expensive) and they’re easy to make at home!
Caramelized Onion Feta Pastry Bites (Copycat)
Trader Joe’s Pastry Bites with Feta and Caramelized Onion are an addiction that is pretty darn hard to stop once you’ve tried them. Plus, they’re expensive which isn’t awesome when you need multiple boxes for a craving.
These Caramelized Onion Feta Pastry Bites are so inexpensive and easy to make that you’ll find yourself making them for all your dinner parties.
Best part ever? You can prep these ahead of time and freeze them. When you’re ready to serve them you just pop them into the mini muffin tins and bake.
Alternate flavor ideas:
- chopped ham and Swiss cheese instead of feta and onions.
- chopped salami and Provolone
- bacon and blue cheese
- cranberry sauce and brie
Want to freeze these Pastry Bites with Feta and Caramelized Onion?
Follow the directions up to right before you would put it into the oven. Freeze the bites for 2-3 hours then store in a ziploc bag. When ready to cook, put them into the muffin tins and bake for 20-22 minutes. Do not bake them without the mini muffin tins, the puff pastry will flatten into pancakes making a mess.
Want to make this into a slab? Add half the sour cream and keep the puff pastry in three large triangles. Score a rectangle shape a half inch from the border and fill with the feta mixture and top with onions. Bake for 20-22 minutes. Directions can be found here.
Here’s the store version/original before baking:
Here’s the homemade version that looks more like their picture on the box before they are baked:
Looking for more appetizer recipes?
- Bacon Blue Cheese Caramelized Onion Tart
- Bacon Brown Sugar Chicken Bites
- Bacon Brown Sugar Smokies
- Cheddar Bacon Ranch Pinwheels
Tools used in the making of these Caramelized Onion Feta Pastry Bites:
Mini Muffin Tin: Make sure you’re using the right size, these are perfect for a one bite appetizer.
Cast Iron Skillet: The perfect pan for caramelizing onions, a nice heavy bottomed even cooking pan.
- 1/2 box Puff Pastry (I used Pepperidge Farm)
- 2 yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3 ounces feta cheese
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice the yellow onions thinly and put them in a cast iron skillet with the butter on medium-low heat.
- Add salt and brown sugar and cook on low for 15-20 minutes until browned, stirring every few minutes.
- In a bowl whisk together the feta, butter, sour cream and eggs.
- Unfold the puff pastry rectangles and cut each three piece sheet into 30 squares.
- Spray the mini muffin tin with cooking spray and put the puff pastry squares into each well.
- Spoon in a scant tablespoon of cheese mixture into each well, then cover with a few pieces of onion.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.