Cheesy Bacon Ranch Potato Soup is a one-pot recipe made with yukon potatoes, thick cut bacon, this creamy ranch flavored silky potato soup is topped with green onions, sour cream and cheddar cheese in under 30 minutes!
Cheesy Bacon Ranch Potato Soup
One of my most popular recipes on the blog is for Slow Cooker Chicken Bacon Ranch Sandwiches (Crack Chicken) and when I recently made Baked Potato Soup the first thing my husband said was “you should add some ranch seasoning to this like you did in those sandwiches.
So I used my Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix and spooned a scoop of it into my bowl and it was AMAZING. The recipe did take a bit of tweaking, no garlic was a change because the Ranch seasoning is flavorful enough that the garlic muddies the flavors. I also added green onions in it’s place.
Outside of that, the recipe is mostly the same but the flavors are just so much more fun!
What potatoes are best for this Potato Soup Recipe:
I use yukon gold potatoes in most soups, stews and roasts like my Slow Cooker Beef Stew or my Ultimate Pot Roast because the butter texture and firmness of a Yukon Gold potato is just heads and shoulders better than a russet. Yukon potatoes also freeze better than a russet potato.
More Bacon ranch Recipes:
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Sloppy Joes
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Stuffed Shells
- Cheddar Bacon Ranch Pinwheels
What to serve with this Potato Soup:
Cheesy Bacon Ranch Potato Soup is hearty enough to be most of a meal but to make it a fully well rounded meal you can add chunks of cooked chicken (I love this Slow Cooker Rotisserie Chicken recipe) and it can be served with Garlic Bread, Cornbread, Dinner Rolls and a Wedge Salad.
Can you make this Potato Soup in your Slow Cooker?
- To make this Cheesy Bacon Ranch Potato Soup recipe in the slow cooker cook the bacon in a pan then use the fat to cook onions as directed in the stovetop directions.
- Add the onions to the slow cooker with the green onions, potatoes, chicken stock, salt and pepper and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Add the butter and flour together in a bowl and mash them together until fully combined, add to the slow cooker after the 4 hours of cooking along with the heavy cream and cook an additional hour on high heat.
- Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth then ladle the soup into bowls and top them with bacon and additional toppings.
How to make Potato Soup in and Instant Pot:
- To make this potato soup recipe in the instant pot cook the bacon in a pan then use the fat to cook onions as directed in the stovetop directions.
- Add the onions to the slow cooker with the green onions, potatoes, chicken stock, salt, pepper and ranch dressing and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Release from pressure then mash the butter and flour together in a bowl and add to insert along with the heavy cream and cook on medium heat, stirring for an additional 3-4 minutes until thickened.
- Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth then serve topped with bacon and additional toppings.
Cheesy Bacon Ranch Potato Soup
- Yield: 12 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Course: Soup
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 8 slices thick cut bacon , chopped
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 1/2 cup green onions , sliced
- 2 pounds yukon potatoes , cut into chunks
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 packet ranch dressing mix
- sour cream , for garnish
- green onions , for garnish
- cheddar cheese , for garnish
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Add the bacon to a large dutch oven on medium heat and cook until crisp, then remove from the pan and add in the onions cooking until translucent, about 3 minutes.
Add the potatoes to the pan and cook for 2 minutes then add in the chicken broth and bring to a boil then lower to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
In a medium saucepan add the butter and flour and whisk together until melted and smooth for 1 minute then slowly add the heavy cream, salt, pepper and ranch dressing mix while whisking until smooth.
When the potatoes are fork tender, turn off the heat, using an immersion blender blend the soup to your desired consistency then mix in the cream sauce and bacon (reserving some bacon for the topping) and serve topped with sour cream, green onions, cheddar cheese and bacon.
Yield: 12 servings, Amount per serving: 289 calories, Calories: 289g, Carbohydrates: 16g, Protein: 7g, Fat: 21g, Saturated Fat: 10g, Cholesterol: 55mg, Sodium: 490mg, Potassium: 483mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 460g, Vitamin C: 10.4g, Calcium: 45g, Iron: 2.9g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.